hey, im new here just want to see if im on track

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
+1 to everything sniper said. Start giving us some daily test numbers and we can get ya through this.

huma-huma said:
+1 to everything sniper said. Start giving us some daily test numbers and we can get ya through this.

Try add biozyme 6$ i wouldn add more ammonia you obviously have ammonia in there biozyme will kickstart your bb if its not converting .25 ammonia its not gonna help to add more ammonia imo you have fish and snails adding ammonia daily

danbstrong said:
Try add biozyme 6$ i wouldn add more ammonia you obviously have ammonia in there biozyme will kickstart your bb if its not converting .25 ammonia its not gonna help to add more ammonia imo you have fish and snails adding ammonia daily

Need nitrite and nitrate numbers if you have high nitrates then ammonia is getting converted imo dont add anything and wait few more days other than biozyme

Im just doing a 25% water change tonight with activate and will check it tomorrow and go from there. right now, before wc.
Ph 8.0
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10ppm
Kh 3.0

murrayk123 said:
Im just doing a 25% water change tonight with activate and will check it tomorrow and go from there. right now, before wc.
Ph 8.0
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10ppm
Kh 3.0

The presence of nitrate shows you have a cycle all the water changes you did probably cut them down Cut feeding just lil bit give couple days then check ammonia also dont check ammonia within couple hours after feeding

Have you tested your tap water? I've fought to get my ammonia down as its constantly between 0 - 0.25. Tested the water and hey presto, ammonia.

shuvit said:
Have you tested your tap water? I've fought to get my ammonia down as its constantly between 0 - 0.25. Tested the water and hey presto, ammonia.

Shouldnt either rodi unit or even conditioner remove the ammonia

Don't know about rodi unit, my tank is freshwater. Came on here as I'm looking to change. There's some conditioners that bind it I think, but not all. X

Sounds to me it hasnt fully cycled if you have done that many wc and still have nitrates with low ammonia then to me sounds like your still cycling try adding a small piece of marco algae in a week keep feeds to a min for the meantime kh at 3 low also be careful with some lfs you need to do the tests yourself api is a cheap test kit you should consider hagen or sailtifert

Badgers reef said:
Sounds to me it hasnt fully cycled if you have done that many wc and still have nitrates with low ammonia then to me sounds like your still cycling try adding a small piece of marco algae in a week keep feeds to a min for the meantime kh at 3 low also be careful with some lfs you need to do the tests yourself api is a cheap test kit you should consider hagen or sailtifert

Its weird, i did a water test monday and still showed .25 ammonia, took to another lfs tues, she said no ammonia. Would it change that quick?

At .25 it could... On a fully cycled tank.. And sorry bout the rodi comment, got mixed up with sw

danbstrong said:
The presence of nitrate shows you have a cycle

I thought you would always have nitrAte in a cycled tank?
My tank has .25 ammonia, 0 nitrIte and 10 nitrAte and have been told several times that it means my tank is cycled and there's not much I can do about the ammonia as its in the tap water.

If the ammonia is in your tap water, then you need to either run distilled, or atleast purified water. Also a fully cycled tank should e able to handle the small amount of ammonia without a problem, the fact that your ammonia keeps spiking tells me that your BB isnt fully up to 100%. Please dont ever think that just "because its there" means its ok or you cant fix it.

Also in a fully cycled tank, it handles ammonia loads rater quickly, so unless you add too many fish at once, or do something else drastic, te ammonia gets converted rather quickly

huma-huma said:
Also in a fully cycled tank, it handles ammonia loads rater quickly, so unless you add too many fish at once, or do something else drastic, te ammonia gets converted rather quickly

Cool, thanks. I hope all is good now. Im gonna do wc next week and go from there

huma-huma said:
If the ammonia is in your tap water, then you need to either run distilled, or atleast purified water. Also a fully cycled tank should e able to handle the small amount of ammonia without a problem, the fact that your ammonia keeps spiking tells me that your BB isnt fully up to 100%. Please dont ever think that just "because its there" means its ok or you cant fix it.

Ahhh ok, thanks.

I find the API kit never really shows 0 amm. There is always a hint of green in the colour. My LFS has confirmed 0 amm but my kit shows between 0 and .25. Have yours checked.

Okay first off dont add the shrimp! You already have fish and inverts in tank good chance your inverts will die and your fish will have an even shorter life span.. i would keep doing what ur doing till ammonia and nitrites equal 0.. your bb will eventually catch up. Your first mistake was adding the cuc and fish before being cycled ..its happens i did it years ago.. its now going to be a slow moving cycle for you.. best bet is just continue ur routine with pwc till you only have nitrate readings.

Back
Top Bottom