High ammonia, what should i do???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an ammonia tester, its just a piece of plastic, its divided into 3 colours, green, blue and yellow. With a sensor at the center.

Yellow = No ammonia Level
Green = Require a water change
Blue = Get help quick

This infomation I got it at the back of the box. My tester shows "green" in colour, although I don't know how high the level of ammonia is, but 3 of my clowns died, I think that is the cause of the ammonia rises. but before the clowns died, I don't have this tester, so I don't know whether the ammonia is really cause by the 3 dead clowns or the 3 clowns died off are cause by the ammonia.

My question is, what should I do now? I don't have another salt water tank, I can't transfer the fishes anywhere.....
Must I do a water change?
Or is there other ways to reduce the ammonia level?
My tank is a 13 gallon tank with 8 fishes, a snails, two tube worms and 3 LR. And LS too.

Your fish died from:
1) high ammonia levels in a 13g tank with 11 fish (way overstocked)
2) Stress from being severly overstocked
3) Possible aggression from other fish in a very overstocked aquarium

General rule of thumb is 1" (minus tail) of fish per 5g of tank volume, this allows for silghtly more than 2" of fish in your tank.

My recommendation, remove all the fish in your tank and return them to the LFS, even if they give you no money back for them, the fish do not deserve to be housed like that. Once that is done, we can start a plan of attack for the ammonia, I imagine without any fish the filter will catch up and you'll be ready to start adding a small fish.

Should I place in some "ammonia remover solution"? Will these kind of solution cause harm to tube worms, fishes and snail?

reefrunner69 said:
My recommendation, remove all the fish in your tank and return them to the LFS, even if they give you no money back for them, the fish do not deserve to be housed like that. Once that is done, we can start a plan of attack for the ammonia, I imagine without any fish the filter will catch up and you'll be ready to start adding a small fish.

Im in total agreement with reefrunner! Overstocked and stress are major issues in the tank. Maybe also a lack of oxygen with that many fish. Do your fish gasp for air or are they breathing heavy? I would return or sell a couple of them fish and do a quick water change. HTH

Back
Top Bottom