High Calcium Levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdnelson99

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 45 gal tank is about 2 months old now. All my water parameters are consistent and right where they should be however I have one concern. I started the tank using filtered tap water but have since switched to RO/DI. My calcium levels have slowly risen. They started fairly high with the tap water but continue to rise with the RO/DI. I am not surprised because the Instant Ocean has lots of calcium and I only have two small coral frags. Right now, my calcium is about 460. One of my frags (very similar to a star polyp) was doing great but now only about half of it opens. Would it be that I have to much calcium? Other than adding a bunch more coral, is there a way to lower the calcium level?

Are you adding purple up by any chance? Or any other trace element products?

Not adding anything at this point. Because everything reads right where it should and because I have only had two small frags for the past two weeks I figured I was getting enough out of the weekly water change I do.

As you should. :) Some people add the purple up to get more coralline whihc in turn can spike yoru calcium. Was just a thought. My calcium is reading at over 500 last time I checked and I still can't figure it out. alkalinity is fine too. I also don't dose anything either....

Looking to see what others have to say, so, following along....

It is impossible for calcium to rise unless it's being supplemented. If your test shows a rise and nothing was added, try a new or better test kit. What brand test kit are you using?

It is impossible for calcium to rise unless it's being supplemented. If your test shows a rise and nothing was added, try a new or better test kit. What brand test kit are you using?

I am using the API Reef Master. I understand what you are saying about it not being possible for it to rise without supplement however, isn't the Instant Ocean adding a certain amount of Calcium each time I do a water change? I do a weekly 10% change. With only two small frags, I have very little calcium consumption therefore I am assuming that I get more out of the water changes then I am consuming. Of course, I could be wrong. (according to my children, I usually am). :blink:

First a recap of my tank. 45 gal, 20 lbs of LR, 10 lbs base rock (well on its way to LF) 40 lbs of LS, 2 clowns, 1-6 Line Wrasse, 1 Fire Shrimp, 3 Emerald Crab, 10 Hermit Crab 14 Snails. Up and running now almost 2 months.

Normal testing is on Sat or Sun morning with 10% PWC then test again on Wed. Night. This past week I tested Sat. evening with PWC Sun. night.

Tonights test mirrored Sat. test with two exceptions. Nitrate on Sat. was 10 (had been running 5) tonight it was around 8 or 9. Calcium has been climbing slowly. Sat. test was 460 tonights 480. I am assuming that I am getting the calcium from the Instant Ocean since I am not dosing anything. KH has been a consistant 7 (125.3) PH stays around 8.2.

At what level should I be concerned about calcium levels and what would be the best way to control it? Would it be best for me to put off building my fish count and use the money to move forward with the corals? Right now I have one small frag of candy cane and one that is often mistaken for sun palyp.

As always, your help is greatly appreciated.

API calcium test kits suck (all API's do IMO). They only measure in increments of 20ppm. Instant Ocean typically measures around 400 ppm calcium so if your seeing 460 - 480 and not supplementing, your test kit is off.
Look into a Salifert test kit. It measures calcium in increments of 5 ppm so it's obviously quite a bit more accurate than an API.

ccCapt: I'm starting to agree with you about API tests. The nitrate test I have is running about ten times higher than it should be and they have no response to that. I didn't realize that until after I ordered their calcium test, though. Do you prefer salifert or red sea?

You get what you pay for, and I guess. Is red sea any good? I've seen how their nitrate test is read and it looks pretty cool, and less subjective.

I use salifert and love them. Easy to use and very accurate. Nitrates test out at about 10 on my api but on salifert they come in at 2.5. :) I'm slowly converting all my tests to salifert as they are a bit pricey

carey said:
I use salifert and love them. Easy to use and very accurate. Nitrates test out at about 10 on my api but on salifert they come in at 2.5. :) I'm slowly converting all my tests to salifert as they are a bit pricey

Where do u buy the test from?

I get them mostly from aquacave when I order from them, and other online stores whenever I place an order I like to add one kit.That way I figure I;ll have them all soon enough. :)

carey said:
I get them mostly from aquacave when I order from them, and other online stores whenever I place an order I like to add one kit.That way I figure I;ll have them all soon enough. :)

Don't have a kit?

Back
Top Bottom