High KH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A series of 10-15% water changes over the next week would be your best bet. Drastic changes are not advisable and the water changes would allow for a more gradual/natural drop.

How did the get so high? Do you know your other chem readings? Ca, ph and Mg?

Cheers
Steve

I used some 'questionable' water on one of my water changes. I think that is how they got high, and also how I got so much algae.

pH = 8.3
SG = 1.022
Temp = 79
Amonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = 0
Phosphates = 0.1
Calcium = 475~500
KH = 275~300

I don't know my Mg reading. I alreayd have way too many tests as it is - I don't want to add a magnisium test, too! :)

The KH has been dropping slowly over that past few days on it's own, so I'm glad to know that some water changes will help with this.

Thanks for your help (again!) Steve!

Todd

Water changes would be best then to keep it balanced with the Ca and possibley correct any difficiencies in the Mg levels. I would also allow your Ca levels to drop down with it. Try not to allow the Ca to get above 450ish ppm. If too high you could risk precipitation as well as possible tissue seperation from the animals scleractinia.

@ 450ppm Ca the balanced alk would be about 12ish DKH or 4.25-4.5 mEq/l. In your case about 215-225ppm.

Also be aware that when testing these levels, they should be done several hours after any chem additions or water changes to allow for proper settling and the mixtures to balance chemically. If testing too soon afterward, you will get false/skewed readings.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom