High Nitrates!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

antdog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all!! I'm a few weeks into cycling my tank and my nitrates are are at 20 ppm. I'm not sure what I should do. Here's my set up: 29 gal oceanic, Penguin Bio-wheel 200 filter, Prizm ps, 1 powerhead, 30 lbs ls, 35-40 lbs of lr. I let the tank sit with live rock and sand for a week then added a few inverts, a few scarlet reef hermits and astria and nassarius snails. There was a minimal ammonia and nitrite spike after the first couple of days, but since then my ammonia and nitrite have been 0 ppm. about a week after adding inverts with no changes. I added a couple of damsels a week later. That was a few days ago. Now my nitrates are at 20 ppm. I realized that i was feeding too much (twice a day). I cut back to once a day, with no change in nitrates. I also noticed that I had adjusted my skimmer too low, so I turned it back up. Should I wait and see if the skimmer adjustment helps? I'm hesitant to do a water change since what I've read says that I shouldn't change it while cycling. What do I do??? Sorry for the long post.

When the ammonia and the nitrites test at zero and the nitrates test for something other the zero the cycle is done.Your tank is cycled.

IMO change some water...and cutting back on the feeding was a good idea...many feed every other day fwiw.

Thanks for the reply! Would I be ok to change about 5 gal or should I change more on the first time? And would it be ok to add a little kalk to the water when I change it?

Since you already added fish, dont change too much at once. Change 10% - 20% per WC. I've never used kalk so i don't have the answer to the 2nd question

many feed every other day

I feed mine every other day, no problems.

The spike in nitrates should be the beginning of the end of your cycle. I would not have added anything to the tank that was living, but just watch your critters and water parameters.

Since you already added fish, dont change too much at once. Change 10% - 20% per WC.

Sound advice there.

With consistant PWCs, you shouldn't have to use any additives to your tank. It is suggested that you not dose your tank if you don't have the test kit for it.

I have pods that I can see crawling around in my tank! But I also seem to have these little white spots on my tank. A little bigger than the pods I can see crawling around and they don't seem to be moving??? Anyone have any ideas?? I don't have any pics, but they're quite small. Also, I'd like to get some opinions on whether or not I should remove my bio wheel from my filter?

What about the little white things??? Should I be worried?

They don't seem to look like any hydroids I've seen photo's of. I can barely make out their structure, but the look almost transparent with what looks like sand in them. I am truly at a loss on this one! Thanks for the reponses guys!!

More pods, I had them and now I can't see them anymore.

Back
Top Bottom