High nitrite,nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

need4fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm 2 weeks into cycling and have the following readings:

Ammonia 0ppm
nitrite 5ppm+
nitrate 80ppm

On 3/19 the readings where:

Ammonia 4ppm+
nitrite 4ppm
nitrate 80ppm

Just wanted to know if I'm on track and should I dose some ammonia or just let let it be. Thanks.

Are you using the API test kit? With those kits, its difficult to determine the real nitrAte reading. Ammonia went from 4 to 0ppm over the last few days.

You a few drops of ammonia everyday. Just wait another 2-3 weeks for all the ammonia and nitrIte to fall to zero.

Sounds like....

I'm 2 weeks into cycling and have the following readings:

Ammonia 0ppm
nitrite 5ppm+
nitrate 80ppm

On 3/19 the readings where:

Ammonia 4ppm+
nitrite 4ppm
nitrate 80ppm

Just wanted to know if I'm on track and should I dose some ammonia or just let let it be. Thanks.

Sounds like you are getting a false reading on your nitrates. In a natural cycle, the nitrates don't start to build until the nitrites start to fall. Also, the nitrites don't start to build until the ammonia level starts to fall. You may want to take your test kit to your Local fish store and do a comparative test to their water using their test kits and yours. Once you confirm that you are getting an accurate reading, retest your tank because these numbers seem a little odd to me.

Yes, I am using the API kit. And yes, the ammonia is 0ppm. I have a 150g DT with a 55g sump and while running is about half full, ~ 25g or so. How much ammonia should I use for the total volume to achieve 4ppm?
Thanks.

Its too time consuming to achieve 4ppm since hobby test kits do not show around 4ppm (I've done it at 5ppm and it was extremely time consuming). You don't really need 4ppm though. 3ppm or less is actually better. Several drops a day in your tank is good enough.

What type of filtration do you have? (ie canister, hob, live rocks, etc)

Sounds like you are getting a false reading on your nitrates. In a natural cycle, the nitrates don't start to build until the nitrites start to fall. Also, the nitrites don't start to build until the ammonia level starts to fall. You may want to take your test kit to your Local fish store and do a comparative test to their water using their test kits and yours. Once you confirm that you are getting an accurate reading, retest your tank because these numbers seem a little odd to me.

I'll have to do that but it'll have to wait till Monday since my LFS is close to work and I'm off tomorrow. But for the time being can I test a new batch of ro/di salt mix as a reference? Nitrates should be zero.

You can

I'll have to do that but it'll have to wait till Monday since my LFS is close to work and I'm off tomorrow. But for the time being can I test a new batch of ro/di salt mix as a reference? Nitrates should be zero.

You can when you know what the results should be. I'm thinking you're getting a wrong reading on more than 1 test which is why I suggest comparing all yout tests to another test kit. If the two test kits come up with the same answers, you know you can rely on yours. Then take it from there. (y)

Its too time consuming to achieve 4ppm since hobby test kits do not show around 4ppm (I've done it at 5ppm and it was extremely time consuming). You don't really need 4ppm though. 3ppm or less is actually better. Several drops a day in your tank is good enough.

What type of filtration do you have? (ie canister, hob, live rocks, etc)

Thanks, I'll do that. BTW, 100lbs base rock and 100lbs of LR in 150g and a 55g sump.

You can when you know what the results should be. I'm thinking you're getting a wrong reading on more than 1 test which is why I suggest comparing all yout tests to another test kit. If the two test kits come up with the same answers, you know you can rely on yours. Then take it from there. (y)

Gotcha, thanks!

I found out while comparing testing methods with a friend he was always getting nitrate readings a lot higher than I did. I don't know why since the tubes were rinsed out well and it seemed like we were both doing the same thing including using the same test kit. It might have been the way he shook his up. We did side by side comparisons one day and his was higher than mine. What 2 old bored adults do to fill their time when looking at a fish tank lol.

Back
Top Bottom