HMMMM homemade reef food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gti_Leo

Aquarium Advice Addict
this is an interesting thing i have come across. i haven't read to much about the different type of food people feed their reefs.

how many of you make your own food with a variety of meaty foods. i've found a video that shows how to make frozen food. since i've been told my my LFS that a variety is best, how does a variety blended together stack up and how many of you do this

YouTube - DIY Reef Food

sweet i bought some frozen mysis shrimp for my clowns on friday, they don't seem to pay much attention to the cube floating and only eat the loose pieces of shrimp that float around. i guess they aren't used to eating mysis shrimp, since i've been feedign them spectrum pelets since i got them

i put it in a fishnet and let it thaw, then dunk the net in some tank water, but i haven't used the store bought stuff in years. now i make my own and know what's in it. my food doesn't smell cause it's fresh.

oh this is just frozen mysis shrimp i don't smell anything when i open it, and i just gave them it one time so far

oh this is just frozen mysis shrimp i don't smell anything when i open it, and i just gave them it one time so far

one block is probably too much anyway depending on ur tank. i have 7 hungry fish and a quarter block is almost too much. they break up and you would be surprised how many shrimp are packd into such a small cube. i feed a rotation on frozen mysis, homemade (i work in a seafood department and get tons of free seafood if i need it :D), and nori sheets. occasionally some slow sinking pellets too.

hmm they did a pretty good job of eating it they do a good job of eatign everythign actually, although i don't know how they usually just stay i nthe top of the water behind or around my filters so how much energy can they burn off that they need to stuff their faces :p

I use a coffee filter and run RO/DI water over the cube to let it thaw in a coffee filter cleans out some of the phosphates

Do a search on this site for "blender mush" or "home made fish food" and you will find several recipes.

I used to make my own till the local fish monger closed up. The stuff at the grocery is almost all thawed (previously frozen).
I now buy Rod's Food as I find it costs about the same for me as making up a batch at home, without the mess.

Watch out "iron chefs" here I come!!!......if nothing else, it will be entertaining making up a batch of stuff.....

i don't use the formula A any more. i just use supermarket ingredients, and cyclo-peeze from the LFS. i change it up though, sometimes i use cyclo-peeze and sometimes i don't. this time i used large mysis shrimp in the place of the CP.
i don't think fish care if their food was previously frozen. i can make a years supply of food for about 20 bucks.

I used white fish filets (I did flounder), peeled shrimp, scallops, rinsed brine and myisis (sp?) shrimp, lots of algea sheets (got them from a chinese food store), and cyclopeeze in a blender with Garlic Guard and zoe.

Once all mixed up, I used a freezer bag to lay it out kinda thin in the freezer. About 1/4 inch or less. That way, I could easily pull a piece of food off and feed it. I'd put the food in a net and let it rest on the tank frame so that the food is in the water. By the time everybody came out of hiding from the smell, it was thawed. Less than 3-4 minutes after I took the food out of the freezer, I was feeding. My fish LOVED it.

The garlic of course boosted the immune system and the zoe provided vitamins. There was meat and vegatables for all. I'd put a meaty piece on the end of my feeder thingy and feed my starfish or any thing else down there that needed help chasing down food.

Wow,...the things you learn on this forum ,... Just finished making a small experimental batch of gook for my critters,....I made a combination of seaweed,mysiss,lobster,shrimp,mussels,squid and fresh rockcod fillet,...I hope my girlfriend doesn't come over and sees me making up this stuff or she'll throw a net over me and call "nurse Ratched" to watch over me..... Should I add any supplemental vitamins ? And if so what should I get?

Fresh fish frozen at 0 degrees Fahrenheit has a 3 - 6 month shelf life before it starts to lose flavor and nutritional value. I figure on the 3 month period for standard home refrigerator/freezer.

That's why I went back to buying a commercial frozen product made just like my blender mush. I pick it up at the local lfs and get a discount for being a member of the local reef club. The package lasts just about 3 months. Total convienence for me and fresh stock every time I need it (like this weekend).

Friends in the food industry have told me fish should never be refrozen. Might not be as as bad for fish as humans, but I'd rather not take that chance.

Back
Top Bottom