HO or PC lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin_Toronto

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have 48" regular output florescents.. (35w x2). I was at the aquarium store today, and he let me bring a fixture home to test on my aquarium, it is a 48" fixture, but it holds 4 36" T5 bulbs (39w each). Currently split with daylight/actnic.

It looks good, but even better with all 6 bulbs on, which is a bit ridiculous I think. How do power compacts compare to HO T5 lighting? What would be better (and more energy efficient---very important) for eventually moving into a coral tank.

Sorry MH lighting just isn't an option for me at this time. Price *is* an issue.

What type of reflectors are on the T5? T5s are a lot more effective provided that each bulb has its own reflector. Keep in mind that quality T5s are generally more expensive than MHs in the short run. In the long run you save money on T5s from needing to change the bulb less often and using less electricity.

T5`s are a better lighting system. Esp. if they are with individual reflectors.

I just checked, there is only one main reflector along the back.
It looks like my options (in my price range) for my 90g aquarium are:

1) 4x T5's (36" - 39w) for a total of 156w. 2 switches, single power cord.
2) 4x PC's (65w ea.) for a total of 260w. Ballast also includes moonlights. 3 switches, 3 individual power cords.

Both are $200 including bulbs for me in Canada.

Back
Top Bottom