Hogie's 150G RR Upgraaaaaade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hogie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, today is the day... The grill is grilling, the pool table room is cleared out... and friends are due over in a few hours.

I have 3x 36gallon Brute trash cans full of RO (I ran out of salt after mixing 1:( ) and power strips / portal GCFI plugs, etc ready for the new tank.

It is a 150 gallon RR Oceanic with stand (I'll be making a custom canopy for it), ~58gallon Sump, all plumbing and Mag18 return pump. I plan on putting it in my game room. There's enough room from the pool table so that we can't hit it with a cue. It even already has an ethernet drop at that location, say for an Aquacontroller 3 that I plan on getting ;)

2991176534_50516cb246.jpg

I am going to be moving my 55 gallon into this tank along with the 60lbs of live rock I recently got from an Ike evacuee.

Tank is in... it needs cleaned, but its in!

2992572615_7514ce1314.jpg

This is the tank... with the moving crew;) Well, the moving crew minus my brother. He just decided to pout in the living room on an ipod.

Cleanup is starting on the new tank now... Already scrubbed down the sump and its outside drying out. Now for this one. Trying to figure out how to do the plumbing

Well, I have had water and sand and live rock in it a week. I finally got enough water mixed to fill it up, and got my new powerheads in today (DFS shipping is sssssssllllllloooooooowwwwwwwwww unless you pay a fortune for it).

I got 2x MJ1200's with the AlgaeFree Sure Flow 1600's and the SureGrip magnet mounts. They really move water now. Probably going to get another pair of Sure Flow kits and maybe some MJ900's to hook up to the same SureGrips to help with my wave maker motion.

Im waiting on another 30 gallons or so of SW Mix to finish mixing so I can fill up the sump enough to start the return pump.

Now to figure out electrical stuff.

I fed the new tank a little flakes, and it didn't even go to ammonia, I just got nitrates from it.

I am working on getting the rubble out of the main tank and into the sump. I just got the sump running water through it.

I also got my first 2 powerheads in it. They work pretty well. They are MJ1200's with the Algae Free Sure Flow kits. I am going to add 2 more MJ's (looking at 900's) with the Sureflow kits also when I add a wave maker.

Now, this might sound funny, but one of the overflow standpipes seems to make more noise than the other. It also does an up and down motion inside the overflow. These overflows have the T connector with a 90 degree pipe turned down and a small hole in the cap above the T. The only difference between the 2 is that one has to go further sideways than the other to the sump (the sump isn't exactly in the middle of the stand). It doesn't do it all the time, it will just start doing it for 20 minutes, then stop for 2 - 3 hours.

Also, what do you guys think I should do for lights? I currently have an ARO Model 4LX Fluorescent VHO ballast that can run up to 16 feet or 440W of VHO lamps. I also have 2x 175W MH ballasts.

I was thinking of getting 2x 72" Super Actinic bulbs and a 72" Reflector with 4x MH Mogul sockets. That way I would keep the ballasts I have, and just need to add the lamps and a new dual ballast for the other 2 sockets. Probably some 12k or 14k lamps.

Now, I'll go back to my colouring books.

These overflows have the T connector with a 90 degree pipe turned down and a small hole in the cap above the T.

Dont quote me but I think it is an anti syphon feature. So your system will not siphon to the sump if the return pump fails...

Hate to be that guy...but......WE NEED PICTURES!!! lol. Everything looks great so far and I wish I was having as much fun as you!

Back
Top Bottom