Holy Mantis, Batman!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLOODMAN

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My live rock went in 1 week ago, and today as I was peeking around for my peppermint shrimp I saw one of the eeriest things I have ever seen. A 3 inch Mantis creeping along where my peppermint shrimp was just last night. I was shocked because from reading on this site I didn't think it was common to see these things during the day. He was moving so smoothly, it really was neat to watch. I was pretty sure I had more mantis' in there because I caught two when I got my rock and I have hear a click or two in the last week. Tomoorrow: Mission Mantis Trap goes into effect. Wish me luck troops.

Jusr caught mine last night . Good luck, they are slick!!
Oh, and watch your fingers. Can give you a hell of a cut. :wink:

OK, here comes a dumb newbie ?, what are the reasons for getting rid of the mantis?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Although I have no direct evidence in my tank, I have read online and in varoius books that they are very good predators of most invertebrates (snails, hermits, shrimps, etc), and if they get large enough can take out fish. The one in my tank is one of the smaller sized species that gets to 3-4 inches, but some of them can get as large as 8-12. The one I saw looked like something out of an Alien movie, it was cool

If you want a mantis (they are cool) it should be in it's own species tank. Unless of course you don't mind feeding it all the SW fish you purchase 8O

one good reason of getting rid of a mantis is that the smasher variety of mantis can provide a blow liken to that of a 22 cal. bullet.. destroying anything... fish, inverts. and most importantly your aquarium glass.. the other varity the spearer mantis shoots your fish.. fun shrimp good if you want to start fresh without fish.. :mrgreen:

IMO it's more likely that your tank will get struck by lightning than it is for a mantis to break it.

Back
Top Bottom