hopefully starting a 30g fish and some corals help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philc21

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok im hoping to turn my 30g into a sw with fish and some corals i want to get around 30lbs of live rock i will probly be getting a jbj pc light its a single bulb 92w light wut types of corals could i keep with this for filtration im planning on using a eheim 2213 and to get some extra water movement im going to use my fluval 3 plus that i have to act as sumthing like a powerhead and give a little bit extra filtration i would like to get maybe a clown and maybe 3 other fish i was thinking a coral beauty and maybe a small tang for the time being and sumthing else around the size of a dwarf angel (if n e one has n e suggestions on fish ) i still dont no wut type of sand im going to use suggestions are very welcome and i think im going to use a 9 watt uv sterilizer if you guys could give me n e suggestions on n e thing u find wrong with my setup or sumthing i could add to it ur help would be very appreciated

IMO the best filtration for your tank would be the LR. Get around 30-35lbs and use the filters for flow only and maybe activated carbon. You may even want to get a powerhead to add more flow. I would recommend a skimmer. With the 92 watts lighting you could keep mushrooms and maybe some soft corals and low light LPS. A small tank would eventually outgrow the 30 so unless you plan on getting a bigger tank. I've never seen much need for the sterilizer..some people do I just don't.

thanx for ur help

if i were to not get a skimmer what can i do to compensate for not having one

Carbon, extra water changes and/or a refugium. Skimmers are not absolutely necessary but do cut down on alot day to day maintenance. They can also be a great saving grace if something goes amiss with water quality or a noxious animals dies.

Provided you are careful and watch the water specs regularly, you should be fine. Although I do agree with Jack, I would still recommend one. Just be sure you keep the waste producing bioload low.

Cheers
Steve

Many people do run their tanks skimmerless. I have run my 20 gallon skimmerless for several months once when the skimmer broke down and did not see any real downside. Make sure you have lots of porous LR and good flow. IMO Good flow through and around the rock is a must. I would still recommend a skimmer down the road, one other positive side effect of skimming is it will help blow off excess CO2, oxygenate the water and aid in maintaining a stable pH. To skim or not to skim..its up to you really. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom