Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2017, 08:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hospital tank

Hello I setup a hospital tank over a week ago. I used water from my display tank to fill it up. I haven't had any fish in it since setting up but I was wondering how often do I have to change the water in the tank? Only when a fish is in it or even when it's fish less?

Old 04-09-2017, 09:55 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It varies. The amount of fish and the amount of water in the system dictates how often these water changes will need to occur. The goal is keeping the ammonia and nitrite at 0 at all times.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay so always keep a eye on it but especially when I'm about to add a fish or when one is in it
Old 04-10-2017, 01:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

A hospital tank should be set up with clean sterile water not tank water. You can make the parameters the same as your tank but it is better to be 0s for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. The tank can be set up the day before the fish are to be placed in it because the more sterile it is, the better off the fish will be. Also, some medications will interact with biological waste so you really want the tank clean.
A quarantine tank is a whole other story. That is where you will place a new or healing fish in order for it to recuperate or adjust. That needs to be set up and maintained more closely to your main tank.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not going to lie I'm a bit more confused. I always thought a hospital tank and quarantine tank was the same. Guess time for more research
Old 04-10-2017, 01:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

ABSOLUTELY. They serve 2 different purposes so they need to be set up 2 different ways.
A hospital tank may have a 10-14 day use while a QT can have a 6-8+ week use depending on whether you medicate the fish first. FYI: Some parasites have a 4-6 week lifecycle if no intervention is applied.

Tags
hospital tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com