How aggressive is aggressive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesrm

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am starting a new reef tank, 125 g, getting a local company to assist me with the setup. I am looking at liveaquaria to get an idea of the corals I would eventually like to have, and I am curious to how "aggressive" aggressive coral is. Will it seek out and destroy its neighbors/fish? How can I figure out how large different specimens will eventually be?

Links to two examples that I like:
Drs. Foster and Smith Diver's Den® - Euphyllia paranchora
Drs. Foster and Smith Diver's Den® - Euphyllia glabrescens

Thanks!

Aggressive coral usually means that it has longer sweeper tentacles then most coral. I would give an aggressive coral 5-6 inches of room between it and any other coral. there are a few coral that will need even more room then that. Coral will not hurt fish with the exception of a very very few. Only two i can think of are the elephant ear mushroom (never seen one in a LFS) and a carpet anemone (which you should not get until you have quite a bit of experience). Most coral if they are healthy will continue to grow indefinitely. You can trim then back in most cases if they get to large.

My hammer coral needs lots of room as soon as i get anything within 6 inchs they start getting stung. but it is a fun coral and its realy neet to see them start to split into three branches....mine started spliting a month ago

Back
Top Bottom