how big will a damsel get ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fin-tastic Aq

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 black and white striped damsels cycling a tank , if for some reason i decide to keep them how large will they get ?
there 2 inches now not counting there tails :?: :band:

I have 2 yellow -tailed damsels tha tare cycling my tank and they are the nicest things in the world. IMO

GT96 said:
I have 2 yellow -tailed damsels tha tare cycling my tank and they are the nicest things in the world. IMO

For now. Just wait till you add another fish into ther turf.

damsels

I have a black and white striped damsel that when we got him he was under an inch long, in the course of about 4 months he annihalated all the fish in my tank which included 2 yellow tailed damsels, 6 green chromis, and 2 percula clowns. He did it with a vengeance too, he would rip off the tails and fins and then grind them into the sand or glass. I bought a snowflake eel today that i hope does him in....

not necessarily, I had a tang that bullied my eel nonstop. I would watch it closely.

i had two yellow tail damsels and they killed 6 clowns, 1 psuedochromis. then they turned on each other.

my damsels hasnt killed any of my fish yet....but he is beating up my two clownfish.....and two black and white striped damsel!!! maybe this is why they are so cheap...

okay.. get this.. my biggest of my two yellowtail is about 1 or 1 n half inches.. i've seen him fend off my 2 n half inch maroon clown!! maroon clown? they're suppose to be aggressive, too.. i want to take it out, but it's for someone in this family that enjoys it's coloration.. the small one is okay though, i know it may have problem in the future.. oh yeah, as for aggressive fishes, my tang is really agressive for some reason.. i mean he would be okay so long as no one starts trouble with each other... if lets say my clownfish and my damself fish starts bickering then the yellow tang jumps in.. it's weird, from my viewpoint it looks like he is a fight preventer...

Last week I bought 6 damsels (4 yellow tail and 2 black and white) and now I am down to 3. These little bastards fight to the death one they have set up there territories. They will defend them to the death. But one thing I did notice was they only fight with their own kind. The yellow tails killed each other and left the black and white ones alone. I only have one yellow tail left.

Damsels are the mike tyson of fish, they don't know when to stop... I prefer a more peaceful tank. They are great starter fish but you find youself saying, "what do I do with them now...?"

I started my tank with Ocellaris clown fish and they worked fine.

Fish From Hell

Interesting reading! I just started a marine tank and one of the guys at my lfs told me I could put a 3-spot Damsel, a Yellow-Tail Damsel, and a 4-Stripe Damsel together in the tank! What a load of crap that was. The first Damsel to bite the dust was the 4-Strip. He did not even last a week. The next one to go was the Yellow-Tail Damsel. He lasted a month. Now all that's left in the tank (while it cycles) is the 3-Spot. I plan on adding Chromis' next and if he starts to annilhilate them, he's going to become cat treat!

Hello all! Newbie here. Still learning. New tank 3 months, we have several damsels small ones, several tangs, & clownfish. 140gals, so far no fighting of any kind. Also 2 cleaner shrimp. All seem to get along ok. Hope it stays that way!
By the way this seems like a great site! Always looking to learn.
Jersygirlml

Back
Top Bottom