How do I get rid of algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lakersfreak

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ever since I bought my 2 sea anemones my tank has been really dirty!
First of all I have that "red hair" algae growing on my sand and rock, and now I noticed the green algae growing in top of tank glass is getting really bad, to the point where I cant clean it with mu squeegee. Anyone know what I can do??? Or is there a fish/invert that will eat this stuff.
Thanks guys.

tell us about your tank... Size, age, lighting, LR etc..
Sounds like a Water quality issue, have you tested your water for po4, no3, if so what are the numbers. What type of water are you using??

Ive got a 20 gallon tank, canister filter, 2 x 20 watt bulbs.
4 fish, 3 starfish, 2 pistol shrimp, 2 sea anemones.

Water seems to be fine last time I checked. Nothing has died in my tank for the past 2 months.

So what can I do?

Oh yeah another thing. When I bought my sea anemones the lady at the store sold me bottles of liquid which she said is food. Can't remember the exact names right now, but one is a Kent (green bottle), Kent (red bottle) and the last is a mix of 2 BIO "something" where I mix 3 different liquids. Can this be the result of this horrific algae.

Green algae, green bottle
Red Algae, Red bottle

Seeing a pattern here hehehehe
Just kidding.
I would go with the water quality issue also or an over feeding issue
The bottles are probably Iodine (Red bottle) and Strontium/Molybdenum (Green bottle)
if they are from kent.
I do not think those alone would cause your algae issues

Throw in a few snails and see if they clean the glass
I defer to the advisors on the red hair stuff (I dont have a clue on that)

Good luck and keep us posted.

Sounds like she sold you some microvert... that stuff will make your water VERY nasty if you don't follow the dosing instructions.

lakersfreak said:
Ive got a 20 gallon tank, canister filter, 2 x 20 watt bulbs.
4 fish, 3 starfish, 2 pistol shrimp, 2 sea anemones.

Water seems to be fine last time I checked. Nothing has died in my tank for the past 2 months.

So what can I do?

don't use livestock deaths to gauge when you need to check your water.. once a week is a good rule of thumb.

Things can get way out of hand in a hurry in such a small tank.. I know from experience. You also sound to be overstocked depending on the type of fish you have.. I didn't see that information in your profile so please tell us.

What can you do? That depends on what type of fish you tell us you have. if you have four chromis, you might be ok with some water changes and a better long-term strategy. If some LFS sold you a setup that looks like the set of "Finding Nemo", you have a massive overstocking problem and you may need to divest yourself of some of your livestock.

Ok here are my fish

2 firefish
1 pajama cardinal
1 clown (nemo)
1 scooter blemmy
1 molly

You need to test your water for phosphates, nitrates is the big one here. NEVER add anything to the tank without testing for it first. If you don't know what is in the 2 bottles your talking about then don't add them.
Your lighting is WAY, way too low for anemones, take them back asap or get some better lighting. They will live a short time before they die and fowl the tank even more.
Way too many critters in a 20.
The LFS sounds like they are selling you things you don't need, anemones need very good lighting(which you don't have) and feeding once in a while. Feeding some shrimp, krill, silver sides is what it needs.
If you have better lighting 1 anemone is all you should have and a few fish to go with it.
Please read, read and read more and aske questions before you waste your money listening to the LFS. There after your $$$ were not..

Did I say... take the anemones back ASAP!!!

Back
Top Bottom