How do I start a Salt water tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cmor, you forgot "beware the LFS's advice...more times than not it's a sales pitch!"

Agreed. Every LFS will most likely tell you something different and don't let them persuade you into buying something you are not sure about. Always come on here and ask first bc something you buy may not agree with your tank mates or even coral and could turn into a disaster. Your really need to work on getting your nitrates down. Start doing weekly water changes. Altho I'm not sure as too how much you should do? I would say 10%? changing the water qualities too fast could shock your tank inhabiters.

You will have a hard time adding anymore fish with all those Damsels that you have. They are aggresive fish and get worse as the age.

thanks doug.

i transported the live rock in polystyrene, and the LS in plastic bags placed in polystyrene.

the water was in jugs :)
the substrate was dirty, there was granules and slime on the walls. not due to lack of care, just a wait till we picked it up i think :)
the gravel vac will get most of teh crud, and the fish SHOULD be ok.. i had no idea how miserable damsels were ! little jerks lol

yeah..i was wondering if you transported the substrate while it was in the bottom of the tank.....basically just draining the water till it's just above the sand.
i guess you should vacuum it at this point.
the rock i asked about because if it was out of water for an extended period, it might need to be re-cured.
just keep testing your water for the first couple weeks. keep a water change ready just in case.

yay, forgot to update you guys. the live rock was covered for transportation, the water was a half inch above sand in tank and about 2 inches over the LR.

i still need calcium for the tank after a PWC, it's at 420. the KH went up (yay) to 125.3, the phosphates went down, like a watered down version of .25, so i am gonna guess half way. the nitrates wen to 0 - 5. thank goodness.

the salinity is a little high, so i am priming some water and aerating again to add to the tank in the morning.

the fish are good, i have a sulking mushroom (which may be due to aptasia) but the coral put out it's show colors and is happy as Larry :) i vaccuumed the sand and took out a good deal of crud, beginning with skimming the top for detritus. i also added a third powerhead to get to a slow/ dead spot under the LR

Domino is being bossy and claiming the tank as his... may have to do something about him, the little punk.
but anyway, so far so good :)

the calcium and alk are fine. i would continue to do water changes. the target salinity is .026. you are removing salt water and adding fresh water to lower it, correct? you don't need to do anything to it before you add it.

oh!, i thought it was supposed to be .023 or less... if that's the case, it's perfect! lol. there i go worrying again :)
mr X, you're wonderful :)

err... how about you're wonderf ? lol sorry, i have a terrible sense of humor, but i AM laughing :)

Back
Top Bottom