How do you acclimate a coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

francis

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can someone explain a few things when it comes to acclimating corals for me

I can do the drip method but how do you not expose the coral to the air, should I just drip method into the bag it came in?

Also when transferring the coral into the tank how do I do this again without exposing it to air or getting the bag water into the tank?

Thanks :) no corals yet but I wanna be prepared (y) :thanks:

So can you just confirm something for me really quick, it's saying its okay to have it exposed to air for a few seconds okay I got that part. Other than that though, I do not need to acclimate the coral or anything? just dip him in a solution, rinse, and place him in the tank? is this correct?

You can expose corals to air for short periods of time, even a few minutes Is fine for most. Sponges are the ones that can't be exposed. I've never dipped my corals and I've never had a problem, prolly wouldn't hurt though. And yes you have to acclimate them like inverts. I like the drip method

Yep, I drip acclimate, pick em up, and put them in. If you have some coral that doesn't do well in air, you can scoop it back into the bag after drip. Lower the whole bag underwater, take the coral out, and take the bag out again. Most of the bag water will stay in.

--Adeeb

I use some of the tank water for my dip what i do is float the bag for 30 min to get it to the tank temp then i dip them. then into a rinse of the same temp use the water from a PWC
I also QT my coral just to be sure that i dont have any HH's had some little white snails eat a coral once.that was enough for me broke down the whole tank and started over never again :facepalm:

dipping them on a solution to kill hitch hikers is a good idea, but as far as acclimating, i just float them for a few minutes and toss them in.
corals can be exposed to air. some are exposed for long periods of time, in the wild...like when the tide goes out.
check out this video-
‪Corals at low tide Fiji‬‏ - YouTube

zoanthids have been shipped to be almost completely dry. wrapped in damp newspaper and in a bag with no visible water in it. in a couple days, they are open and as happy as ever.

Back
Top Bottom