How do you get salt creep off of your lighting hood or fixture?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bodie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had a problem with salt creep on my lighting fixture and I can't seem to get it off. I'm not sure if the hood is made of plastic or fiberglass or what, but it's the same material as most lighting hoods. I've tried wiping it down and spraying the hood with Salt Creep. This seems to work until the hood dries and then the salt creep reappears. It looks as if the hood is stained with salt and I can't seem to scrub it off or figure out a way to resolve. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Do you have any bubbles in the tank that is coming to the top and busting sending some spray up? Any kind of bubble wand or ring?

I would try cleaning it in the morning, before lights on, that way it will be cool. You can use vinegar mixed with water.

No bubble wands or anything spraying. I do have my nozzle from my return pump pointed at an angle so that it creates movement on top of the water, but nothing really blatant where the water is splashing everywhere. Also, the light hood is the main thing that gets salt creep. A little on my hang on the back protein skimmer, but the tank and stand itself doesn't seem to get salt creep.

My guess is the light hood is probably a little warm and drying any salt water on it leaving the salt creep. Only thing that I can think of.

I second trying the vinegar. There is probably some residual salt crust that isn't readily dissolved by the water, and it annoyingly reappears once the hood dries.

I had never heard of the water/vinegar idea. I will definitely give that a try! I tend to agree with Melosu58's theory as to what is causing it.

Back
Top Bottom