How do you know when you are ready to add the fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pittchic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After all the chaos of the live rock situation from last night, I just took a cup of water to my LFS and had them test it. They said that all my levels looked great except my pH. They said it was a little low. I tested it again just now and according to my Red Sea test kit it is just fine. I still do have a problem with this brown algae everywhere. So, how do I know when it's safe to put a nice fish in this tank?! :?: It has been up and running for about 5 1/2 weeks now. We have 5 damsels in there right now that have been doing just fine for the last 4 weeks (I know it's bad, we didn't realize that was NOT the way to cycle a fish until AFTER my father in law talked us into it).

I didn't realize having a fish tank was this stressful! 8O

PS - Do you think I can atleast get a few turbo snails to start cleaning up this brown algae?

Are you planning on using a QT? If so, you could go buy a fish now and get him in QT so that when the recommended 4 weeks is up, your tank will be ready for its first fish and he can be added.

tripper

I don't really know much at QT tanks. If it's best for the fish than I guess we should use one. Our regular tank has been up and running for 5 1/2 weeks now.

BTW - I see you are from Philly...do you know of any good places to buy healthy fish in the area?

QT tanks are really important in my opinion. I made the mistake of not using one when I first set up my tank. I had a bad ich outbreak, lost a few fish, and then had to keep the main tank fishless for over 6 weeks so that the parasite would die off since it is not recommended to medicate the main tank. There is a great article on the site explaining how to use a QT.

I found a GREAT place for corals, and some fish last week. If you are in NJ, it's going to be a hike. The place is called Something Fishy and is located in Allentown, PA. It was about a 45 min drive from my house and I am northwest of the city. This fish store has some of the best maintained tanks I have ever seen and all the staff are very knowledgable. I doubt I will go back to any of my LFS after finding this place. They are only open on Sat and Sun. Take a look at their website. www.toofishy.com

tripper

Where in NJ are you? I just went to aquariam Center in Clementon NJ, they had a big selection of fish and inverts and they were reasonably priced. I would definitely get some snails, also think diversity with snails turbos stay on rocks and glass, cerith and narssisus will clean your sand bed but generally wont go on glass. Inverts don't need to be quarantined so you'll be able to add them after you acclimatize them. :p

Back
Top Bottom