How is this for a filter setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kthehun89

Aquarium Advice Newbie
How is this for a 55 gal FOWLR:

Prizm Protein skimmer
Marineland Penguin BIO-Filter
2 power heads
Some Live rock

I got a 55...
90 pounds of LR
55 lbs of LS
Aqua C Remora skimmer
2 Maxijet powerheads 1200's
Emproer 400 no bio wheels or floss filters just baskets filled with AC..
How much rock u got?

I have the same exact setup as XXFirefighter, except I don't have that much rock yet, but it seems to be working pretty good!!

Not to much, 20 lbs

You could always add some base rock, then your lr will seed it into lr... stuff like sold at www.highrocks.com or actually some lfs sell it as "coral rock" for around only $1 / lb - just an inexpesive idea, you should have at least 55lbs in there to keep a healthy tank. What kind of substrate do you have, sand?

sand, highrocks.com doesn't work, some camp's website. Also what fishes would be good for this setup?

Its hirocks.com

My bad.

Also what fishes would be good for this setup?

A 55 gives you around 11" of fish using the 1"/5g rule. That does not mean a 10" fish should be in there, though. I'd say you'll probably want to get fishes that will not exceed 5-6 in. fully grown, anything larger will stress the fish and cause problems or need a new tank. Damsels, gobies, jawfish, blennies, Clownfish, are good to name a few. Then possibly a dwarf angel maybe are possible when the tank is several months old. Here, check this site it gives the min. tank size for each fish...

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/fish.html

the Prizm skimmer isn't gonna be enough for a 55gallon. the Prizm Pro...maybe..but for that price I'd get CPR Bak-pak, or spend a little more for a Remora.

the standard prizm, with deluxe accessories, is starting to barely be able to handle my understocked 40gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom