how long can i wait to pruchase lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonathan G.

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just set up my tank and am saving to buy my lights. i was wondering how long i could wait to use lights. im gonna buy live rock on friday to cycle my tank out then buy a MH and VHO retro next friday. could i do this or no?

There is no need to buy the MH and VHO lights until you start stocking your tank with corals. Having them over your tank during cycling will help in corraline growth, but is not required. Until you want to add corals, you would be fine with NO lights.

tripper

I agree i've even heard that the lights are there mostly for us 2 see the fish and thats all, unless u got corals.

Using the standard light fixtures that come with most tanks will be fine for what you describe.

Agreed, no need for lights on tank while cycling. I didnt run a light on my tank the entire 6 weeks and had no algae at all when completed,

cool i was just gonna go with 4x 96w but i figured i would like to keep clams and corals so if im gonna spend that much i might as well save for MH's too.

I agree, buy mh now...you will want them later and spend more money working to get there. I am no expert, but I would estimate that 2 x 175w mh would work well on there. Maybe even 1 175w and 1 250w for the side with the clams? They cost pretty much the same. An actinic pc or vho would be the finishing touch for dawn / dusk effect. Do you want retrofit kits (mount to under your canopy) or a complete hood?

i wouldn't count out t-5 lighting. check it out, mine will be here on tuesday hopefully. people have had great success w/o having to go mh. only thing i will miss is the shimmer!.

yea im gonna build my own canopy which leads me to my next question. How high should i have my lights over my aquarium?

about 6-8" is ideal...here is some general information:
http://www.aquarium-supply.biz/ordering/ov_metal_halide_lighting.html

Also remember when building your canopy, these fixtures put the bulb about 4" below the mounting point, IE below the canopy. Here's a fixture:
http://www.captivereefs.com/captivereefs/pic1.asp?CatID=lt&SubCatID=Lt%2Dmhr&ItemID=LT-CV250RK

A kit with electronic ballasts like that would be best (longer bulb life, use less power). We get a 6% discount from that vender also.
HTH

Back
Top Bottom