How long do diatoms last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harrytownend

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank is almost 6 weeks old and I've had diatoms for just over 4 weeks and I'm wondering how long they'll last for as they're pretty ugly to look at. I used live rock from another tank of mine so it cycled pretty much straight away and my ammonia and nitrite are at 0 and my nitrate is around 5ppm (maybe lower). Could it be down to flow as I don't have a crazy amount of flow close to the sand bed? Any input would be great! HahahImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433784574.018853.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433784610.602573.jpg

I clean the glass regularly so there's not a lot on the glass at all but my sand has a fair amount of diatoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

the best way to get rid of diatoms is to wait until they use up the excess silica in the water and they die out on their own.
it is simply part of the process of the tank becoming established.
some snails eat them, but it is still just a waiting game.

Is there a set time that they'll die off by or is it different for different tanks?

theres no real set time once all the silica in the water is used up they stop producing basically. it can be a pain when it starts to cover your rockwork and glass but it wont last for very long

Well I'm 4 weeks in so hopefully they'll die off soon!

Back
Top Bottom