How long should I wait?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishgirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok it's been a week and the tank is fine (minus one linkia star :( ) and I wanted to get started on it again. It's been on hold for the 6 months we spent waiting for our house. You know I didn't want to add anything to the tank before the move. The less that could go wrong you know. So you can imagine my excitement about adding something to the tank. I have 3 firefish, a mandarin and a blue damsel!!! That's it as far as fish.

But my question is not WHAT to add but HOW long would you wait before adding something? It's already been a week. The LFS lady said a few weeks. I just don't know what to think.

As far as the tank knows it got a 20% water change so you dont wait 3 weeks after that to add something so why should I now?

Please any input would be appreciated.

Fishgirl

I take it your asking how long you should wait till you start adding more fish or corals to your system.

I would say if your water has restablized from the move then its ok to start adding stuff at this point. Just do it slowly. Dont go hog wild and add like 4 fish and a few corals in one weekend.

As always should your ammonia or nitrite become detectable then stop adding and wait till they get back in check.

Thank you for your input. Of course I am monitoring the levels and everything is fine now. Yes I meant Fish or corals. What else would I have meant? :lol: I wouldn't stress about putting snails or crabs in there, and already have 2 serpant stars, but I didn't make that clear. I have quite a bit in the tank already but just need some larger fish. Not even corals really cause I don't have the lights I want yet. I meant fish. I just thought it was odd the LFS lady said that and wanted to run it by you guys with all your experience.

OH by the way today at the another LFS I saw a Naso Tang that was at least 9 inches long!! I kid you not! I had to step back when I first looked into the tank! That was neat.

Promise not to go nuts this weekend and overload the tank. :D

Thanks,
Fishgirl

Back
Top Bottom