How many fish can I keep in a 45 gallon reef tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefobsessed

Aquarium Advice Freak
Let me say WOW!!! What a great site. I have had a reef for over 2 years and I could have saved myself hundreds in lost fish and corals if I would have found this site sooner. Anyway heres the question, I have a 45 gallon reef tank with at least 40 lbs of live rock which is completely covered with over 30 diff types of animals. I currently have a blue powder tang, coral beauty, fire fish, clown, pajama card, blue spotted jaw, and a blue damsel, black star & black sea slug.& Mics critters I want to add a two anthias but want to be sure I dont over do it and stress the current inhabitants. How many is to many??

Well technically your only supposed to have 9 inches of fish minus the tail (go to the calculator section of the site, it tells you this) in a 45 gal tank, so you technically have too many fish in there as it is, especially with the powder blue tang wich needs a lot more swimming space than a 45 provides.

i would really recomend not getting any other fish for that tank.

Yeah, you are maxed out right now. You will need to find a new home for that Tang once it begins to grow as you won't be providing it with enough room to move around.

If you moved the Powder Blue to a larger tank I think the current inhabitants would be a good mix, and you could put the anthias in the bigger tank with the Tang. I know that sounds like a large investment, but the guys are right, especially with all the other fish, the PBT will not be happy very long.

:hat:

Well I have to agree with Reefrunner I have been thinking about up grading to a 90 gallon tank. Can anyone direct me to any good articles on how to make the switch. How long do I need to let the new tank sit before I can more rocks from the old that kind of thing?? :roll:

If you get a new tank, you would want to cure the rock in the tank and once the levels have reached 0 you could do the switch over. I would acclimate all corals and fish to the new tank slowly.

Back
Top Bottom