How many gallons?? 1/4 cylinder tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrrrkva

Aquarium Advice Freak
How many gallons are these 2 tanks. These are corner tanks with a bow in front. 4 foot coming from the right angle (along each wall). and 24 inches tall. And 5 foot coming from the right angle and 24 inches tall? What is the formula?

I have a 200 gallon 7X2X2. WIll my stuff fit in these?? It is jammed packed with softies.

OK...I'm not sure about my numbers here. I haven't done any of this in a while, but here's what I came up with. The formula for the volume of a cylinder is pi (3.14) x radius squared x height. You would take the answer from this and divide by 4 to get the volume of a quarter cylinder...I think. I understood that one of these tanks covered 4' of wall on each side and was 2' deep? The other tank covered 5' of wall on each side and was 2' deep? I came up with the smaller tank being 187 gal and the larger tank being 293 gal. 43,407 and 67,824 cubic inches. Your 200 gal tank contains 48,384 cubic inches for a difference of 62,847 cubic inches...I'd say you'll have room left over. 8O :?

THANKS!!! Anyone else. I think he is right!! Now I just have to be patient for the QUOTE!!! Any ideas on light configurations? Will 3X250 MH do it with some supplemental VHO's??

OK, you're really taxing my rather anemic math skills here 8O . My guess is that a 3x250 would do it for the smaller tank, but not the larger one. A MH is good for about 4 square feet. Your smaller tank has a surface area of about 12.5 so three bulbs should give you pretty good coverage there. However, the larger tank has a surface area of about 19.6...I'm thinking 4 bulbs or possibly even 5 to get really good coverage there. Of course, depending on what you have in the way of corals, you may want some areas with lower light levels. The VHO actinics should work well. You could set them up in a fan pattern or you could use different length tubes and run them parallel with the front glass. Well, as parallel as you can be with a curved front glass anyway :? . The larger tank should be about 7' straight across the front. You could step back a little and run a 6' tube...step back a bit further with a 5' tube, then a 4', then a 3' or a pair of 2' tubes. A couple of Icecap 430's should handle this arrangement well.
If you like a blueish tint, you might just go with 20k MH's and not bother with the actinics at all. If you did that, you could dispense with a canopy and just use pendants. I think that would look awesome...open top with pendants hung from the ceiling. We're all going to be green with envy when you get these tanks set up :mrgreen: .

The inwall tank just didnt work out! The house wasnt "REEFREADY" It REALLY stinks so I am looking at other alternatives. I think I am on to something with this though. It is going to be one helluva creation. I CANT wait, but its going to cost. I am looking more at the 4 foot 1/4 cylinder tank after light considerations! And one other idea the Tenecor guy and I came up with which is A Reverse L shaped aquarium. with the BOW facing the room!! This way easier access to back to clean and maintain. I SWEAR guys, I am narrowing my choices down. The order should be in Friday and I will let you know the details. Anyone know anyone who can build a stand for this tank, or do you think I should have them make that too?

I would be Half way there!!! LOL!!

Actually looked at the FULL cylinder aquarium. BIG $$$$$$$.

mrrrkva said:
Actually looked at the FULL cylinder aquarium. BIG $$$$$$$.

Hmmm...second mortgage, get rid of the car, rent the kids out as slave labor...you could do it. About 1000 gal cylindrical tank right in the center of the living room :twisted: .

dude... 2 story cylinder.

"honey, i'm going up to the bedroom"
"but it's only 6 oclock?"
"yea, but my snorkel is in the bedroom closet"

:mrgreen:

INCREDIBLE idea!! Why not 2 2 story cylinders with 3 connecting tubes all the way up!! I dont think 1000 watt MH would even be enough for that, but maybe we could put SOLAR tubes from the roof all the way down to the sides of the tank!! What about if you had a rock slide?

Man our minds can get carried away!!

LOL :lol:

Back
Top Bottom