How many snails are too many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdellin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here's a question I haven't seen addressed...

Somtimes after lights out, I go and look into my tanks with a flashlight, just looking for new things that don't come out during the day. Anyway, I've noticed there are a whole bunch of tiny snails of all different shapes on the rocks. They seem to come out only at night.

Should I be concerned about how many there are? Should I get a fish that will eat them or just leave them alone?

Some snails are predatory. Can you give a description of them or a picture? If you can ID them and know they are safe, I wouldn't worry about the numbers. Like mentioned already, they will weed themselves out when there food source diminishes.

I'll get pics tonight (after I scrub algae off the front, so you can actually see them, HA!) Most of them look just like the turbos I have that are much larger, but there a some others as well.

I have some mini turbos and they are hard little workers(algae grazers). About the size of the top of a stick pin some a bit bigger. Perhaps this is what you have. I have a picture of one here somewhere.....

I have a bunch of small snails on my main and refuge. They look like baby turbos

Unfortunately, I can't get my camera to focus without light, even with the flash on and a flashlight. I also tried it with the room lighting on, but the pics came out blurred. I won't worry about it, sounds like it's not a problem.

Here are some pics of my tank clean! Whooppeee! Will ya check out that LTA? He's happy, he finally found a spot he likes. He stuck his bum into a cave and attached there.

Attachments

• anemone1_913.jpg
    anemone1_913.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 167
  • main_tank1.jpg
    main_tank1.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 270
The anemone looks awesome. Mine stuck his foot in a crevice as well but is pressed against the front glass making it impossible to clean that area. :roll: lol
The tank looks great Sharon. Good job!

Thanks melosu58. I'm proud of it. I have a picture of a really nice tank I pulled off the internet and it is my goal, but I think it will wait until I go bigger. %% seems large, but it's just not that big.

Ace, I guess you've already seen this pic (oops, I e-mailed it to you). I am still working on live rock, don't have nearly enough.

Yeah, I want to check out the one you mentioned in Sac. Maybe after Christmas? How long will you need to wait for your new tank to be stable enough?

Back
Top Bottom