How many water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish noob

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just finished cycling my 60g cube after 5 weeks. Ammonia and trites are at 0, but nitrates are off the chart.

I did a 25g water change yesterday and another 25g water change today and the trites are still super high.

How many water changes must I do? I would do more than 25g at a time, but am getting the water from the LFS and I only have 5 buckets.

Get yourself a tap mate!

If you cannot rely on your LFS to do everything for you

Its YOUR fish tank and YOUR responsible for it.

It takes more than 5 days to cycle it mate.

Is fishless or with fish in the tank?

Last edited:
After cycling with pure ammonia, I think I did a 90% water change. This was on my 125g + 40g sump. I have a RODI unit so it was a bit easier to save all the water in some large Rubbermaid containers.

Have you thought about getting your own RODI unit? It usually pays off for itself in a short time.

Your small water changes is not as good as one big water change. Good job finishing the cycle.

You need to do a large water change...the best way to save money in the long run is to get an RO unit...

I have a line from my RO unit hooked to a flow switch in a food grade barrel. I keep a pond pump in the barrel to circulate the water and mix the salt.

Back
Top Bottom