How much??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nibor

Aquarium Advice Regular
We are thinking of getting a 55gal and trying to do a salt tank.

How much does set up cost? What do you need for a salt water that you would not need for a fresh water? How is set up/ running of a salt different from a fresh?

What is the difference between salt and reef?

What other questions should I be asking?

It will be after Christmas when we get the $$ together to do a tank, so I have plenty of time to research SW tanks.

Go to bulkreefsupply.org and look at there videos on seeing up a salt water tank there is like 5 videos on this start with #1 and so on.

If you are going to do a new tank it will be a lot more than buying used. I usually get used myself for my 55 I paid 295 it included a furniture grade stand. skimmer. fuge. light. pump. and hood. I had to get sand, rock and powerheads. I just upgraded my light this week to one with a timer and individual reflectors which I bought used as well.

A there are tanks with live rock sand and fish reef tanks have things like coral in them.

You will want to get a refractometer to measure the salinity and a good liquid test kit.

Cycling is about the same for sw and fw.

One thing you want to do is pick fish out that work well in a 55 gallon tank together.

$300 for my 125...that included EVERYTHING, I means. Live rock, test kits, food, and even 5 fish.... I also recommend going used, youll usually save a whole heapload of money. Research, research and more research.... as a matter fact just research till you puke lol. It'll help immensely in this hobby

For my 54 gallon corner, I bought used with tank, stand, 4 bulb t5ho lights, pump, sump, liverock, sand, and four fish, along with a bunch of food, I paid $400 on CL.

Since then, I've put another $500+ into corals and livestock.

I'm around $1000 so far, but as a disclaimer, not all tanks are the same, not all needs are the same and my case is just one example.

I found the queen deal on my 125g SW tank. paid $100 for the tank, stand and a set of 48" lights that I ended up selling for $75 to a friend. so all in all my tank and stand came out to $25. :)

Just have to watch for quality and make sure it's a solid water holding tank before you buy used.

Back
Top Bottom