How much algae is too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PistolPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a decent amount of algae on my rock and I have pulled it off or anything because I didn't see the point. What kind of algae do you think this is? Is it good or bad? And should I pull it off? Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110803_142412.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110803_142412.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 193
  • ForumRunner_20110803_142426.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110803_142426.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 225
I don't mind it, I just want to make sure it isn't nuisance algae.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. As long as it doesn't get out of control it doesn't bother me. Although it does cover up the pretty colors on my live rock. LOL

Looks to me to be hair algae,which is bad.Either to many nutrients in water or main lights on to long.

PistolPete said:
I have a decent amount of algae on my rock and I have pulled it off or anything because I didn't see the point. What kind of algae do you think this is? Is it good or bad? And should I pull it off? Thanks everyone.

From what I can tell in ur pics it looks like hair algae. It will grow all over if left alone.

So other than reducing the lighting what is the fix? In my case, nutrients must be in the water. Because I have no fish yet I am doing no feeding.

Haven't purchaed the Reef Master kit yet because I was told to wait a month or so for corals. I guess I could purchase one but my question remains, if it turns out to be high phosphate what is the fix? Right now I use tap water run though a filter (but not a RO) and mix my own salt. I know that isn't recoomended but because I am so far away from an LFS I thought I would try it. Think I am making a mistake there? I don't want to accept that but if that is going to cause me big headaches I will "Eat My Peas" as President Obma put it. LOL

Tap water is high in phosphate!!!! If u don't wanna go to a LFS than u need a RODI from online store

I get my water from walmart. They have a culligan RO machine. I fill up 15 gallons at a time for 5.85 or so. My phoshpates reduced in a hurry after switching from tap and the HA disappeared within days.

rdnelson99 said:
Haven't purchaed the Reef Master kit yet because I was told to wait a month or so for corals. I guess I could purchase one but my question remains, if it turns out to be high phosphate what is the fix? Right now I use tap water run though a filter (but not a RO) and mix my own salt. I know that isn't recoomended but because I am so far away from an LFS I thought I would try it. Think I am making a mistake there? I don't want to accept that but if that is going to cause me big headaches I will "Eat My Peas" as President Obma put it. LOL

Look on eBay. You can get decent RO setups for not a lot of $$$..

Tap water is high in phosphate!!!! If u don't wanna go to a LFS than u need a RODI from online store

10-4 I appreciate the help. I think I will check into a good RO/DI filter. Man, this is an expensive sport isn't it. LOL

rdnelson99 said:
10-4 I appreciate the help. I think I will check into a good RO/DI filter. Man, this is an expensive sport isn't it. LOL

All I can say is: heck yes! But once u got it figured out (and it's a LARGE learning curve) it is so much fun ;)

Thanks everyone. What is so bad about hair algae? If I use tap conditioner will that keep the Phosphates to a minimum?

You need to switch to ro/di water. :) The phosphates will just get worse and worse. I started with tap water and it literally took MONTHS and MONTHS to get my phosphate levels back to almost nothing. I'm still getting some in my test results and I've been using ro/di water for months. If you let it go it will eventually leech into your rocks making it even harder to get rid of.

There is a portable ro.di unit that I and a bunch of others on here use

0PPM Portable 100GPD Reverse Osmosis DI Filter PO4B-100 - eBay (item 380331542539 end time Aug-08-11 15:01:18 PDT)

Before I got my machine I was going to the supermarket and buying their water from the machine out front, 30 cents a gallon. :-D

I will look into it. I am pretty good at figuring things out, but these things look like a pain in the butt. Talk about intimidating. I want something I can hook up to the faucet and take off every time I use it, that way my parents can't yell at me. :)

Oh trust me, I'm not s super diy kinda girl but the ro machine was cake. Nothing too extreme I promise. :-D

I keep mine in a hall closet in a shopping bag when not in use. I generally make a garbage can up and fill 4 5g jugs in one afternoon so I don't have to worry about water all week.

PistolPete said:
I will look into it. I am pretty good at figuring things out, but these things look like a pain in the butt. Talk about intimidating. I want something I can hook up to the faucet and take off every time I use it, that way my parents can't yell at me. :)

If Little blond me can figure it out, so can u ;)
Carey is right, the phos will leech into ut rocks and whatnot and then good look getting that stuff out ;)

Back
Top Bottom