How much it would cost to start a saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy 1077

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can someone please tell me how much it would cost to start a 20 gallon saltwater tank i already have the tank,filter and heater please also tell me what else I need as well as what fish I could keep on my tank

My first question is what kind of filter. Second, you need a salt mix, live sand, live rock, power head depending on your filter, lights if you're going reef, API test kit, and some other stuff I'm sure I'm missing.

Can someone please tell me how much it would cost to start a 20 gallon saltwater tank i already have the tank,filter and heater please also tell me what else I need as well as what fish I could keep on my tank

It really depends on what type of livestock you want to keep. Corals, fish, anemone?

Corals and anemones will require decent/expensive lighting.

If you're just going fish (FOWLR tank) then you would just need a powerhead, some rock and sand.

Not counting the tank and stand it cost me about 350 to set up my 20g tank. It's a mixed reef with powerful lighting, a refugium, and I bought cured live rock for it. That includes a bucket of salt.

Wow that's a lot of money

Its not bad. I would have saved about $40 if I had just bought base rock as opposed to cured live rock. I would have saved another $70 if I hadn't wanted a light that could grow the corals that I wanted. The refugium was an extra $80 or so but it really helped make my system very healthy.

Ok thanks again I think I just want as basic as a tank as I can get

Well in that case all you need is a hang on back filter and some salt. You don't really even need live rock. However without the extras you are going to be doing a lot of water changes which adds up over time. On a 20g tank you will probably need to do a 50% water change weekly if you have no sources of nitrate reduction. You are looking at $150 yearly in salt costs doing that.

On my tank I do on average a 3g water change every other week thanks to my refugium. Assuming no issues that's running me about $30 a year in salt costs.

If you go with fish sand and live rock you can actually spend significantly less. To start my first salt tank I paid 100 for salt, sand, rock and fish. An additional 100 for the 55 gallon tank and stand. I just did a fowlr setup and bought the setup from someone who didn't want their tank anymore. Check Craigslist for deals I saved a ton of money buying things off there. I didn't want to spend a large amount as I'm not really into corals and I knew I could upgrade later if I ended up staying in saltwater.

It is a lot more expensive than freshwater. My 10 gallon FOWLR cost about 400+ dollars. My 20 fresh didn't even cost 100.

About 700 if you want to sustain coral and have a nice health tank while limiting work and maintenance cost. More money up front = less work and less money in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom