How much LR ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got a 55 gal tank and about 60lbs of LR... I'm going to add some more cured LR from the LFS.... I was wondering though... I'm sure their will be a little die off during the trip.... I don't want any drastic spikes.... any ideas on how much to add at a time?????

Guess I should have been more specific...... the tank is established and has inverts, fish, corals, etc...... I want to keep adding rock... but not at the cost of killing anything in the tank.....

If you are worried about it, you can buy whatever you want for rock, then re-cure the rock in a bucket when you get it home. Like so:

cure.jpg

Well then just cross you fingers and put new rocks straight into the tank instead of waiting a few days.

How long of a drive are you talking.... IMO if were not talking a long time there should be minimal die off. When I set up my 2nd tank I got about 60lbs of LR and had it in my cooler for several hours and had no die off that caused a amm spike. If your worried the most I would do is just rinse it in a bucket of SW before adding it too the tank.

Or, have the LFS pack the LR in saltwater. Maybe even bring a container of your own saltware to the LFS to pickup the rock.

It shouldn't be a problem. I had a fifteen minute drive, and had minimal die-off. I did a water change a half hour after I put it in the tank, and tested today. Everything was fine.

10 min will not be a problem at all. Just make sure it is fully cured at the LFS. For your 55 you should shoot for between 80-100lbs total. No need to do it all at once.

Yeah that's what I'm shooting for.... I seem to be running out of room though... I'm beginning to wonder how I get that much rock in my tank ?????? :)

The LR I want isn't fully cured yet.... so I guess I'll wait another week..... I got a few more snails and a newer BETTER toadstool.... came with a conch snail and some bubbly culpera..... wooohoo.... (attached to the rock)

Back
Top Bottom