How much water circulation for a 29 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

excited_newby

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 29 gal tank, and am planning on having a couple of clowns maybe a tang, and hopefully some LR, but we will see.

My question is will a maxijet 900 be enough watercirculation to start when used with a protein skimmer, and an aquaclear 200 filter?

maybe a tang

Please no. tangs have no place in a tank smaller than 55 gal.

My question is will a maxijet 900 be enough watercirculation to start when used with a protein skimmer, and an aquaclear 200 filter?

My first response is no. It wont be enough circulation. My second response is what kind of skimmer and what pump is attached to it. Will the aquaclear be run with or without a filter cartrage?

The truth is I cant say with a difinitve amount of authority exactly how many powerheads you will need to provide proper water circulation around your tank. Expecially if you put live rock init. There are just so many vairables that affect water flow. Rock placment, amount of rock, volume of water taken up by rock, placment of powerheads, etc.

Basicly its a trial and error. You put your atnk up and decorate how you want. You put the powerheads in and see how your water flow is. Maybe you reposition them. Maybe you have some dead areas and you need to boost water flow to those spots. So maybe you need another powerhead.

Just for comparison...in a 20 long I have a prizm skimmer, a Maxi-jet 900 and a Maxi-jet 600 and I still plan on adding a mini jet or 2 down the road. It all depends your tank setup and what the need of your livestock.

Ok, I am putting on a prizm skimmer, and the aquaclear will be running with a cartridge to start anyways. I think that I will get the maxijet 900 and a bit of live rock. I am not sure if I can base rock locally, but if I need more circulation then I will add it in mid cycle.

Does that sound resonable.

And there will be no tang, I have gotten fairly steady feedback this morning that I don't have enough room so I will take all your words and just go with a couple of clowns, and maybe a gobie or blennie...

Sounds like a plan. You just have to keep in mind that good circulation through the LR is what will facilitate good biological filtration. Gobies are great and lots of fun to watch IMO just be forewarned they can jump out of an uncovered tank, they are quite skittish and jumpy at times.

Haha I can only imagine the histaria if a gobie jumped out of the tank and there was a class in the lab, screaming girls and laughing boys. Against popular belief (in the minds of H-S students at least) we do not get more mature as we age in such matters.

Allright, that sounds like what I am looking at. Here is the water cirulation elements that I have so far:
maxijet 900
prizm skimmer (bought this and the PH yesterday)
and the aquaclear filter

Just as a little side note, do people know if the little pumps that are attached to the aquaclear type filters can be submerged. This is because I found three of them this morning from old freshwater attempts and would like to jerryrig them up as poerheads. Anything to save a buck.

Back
Top Bottom