How often should you test the water, after you get new fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boffer

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have finished my cycle and I got some new fish yesterday how often should I test the water? and what should I test? and how often the first week and the next week and the next week again?

I have a liquid testing kit, it's a bit of a hassle it takes time, And the strips tests I don't know if I can trust it, do you guys know if can be trusted? should I just go for the liquid test kit?

You should test weekly until your tank has had lots of time to mature along with your weekly 10% water changes. You can't trust test strips, they are too broad for most needs in saltwater. Really the most concerning thing is the nitrate levels.

Your Tank

So I have finished my cycle and I got some new fish yesterday how often should I test the water? and what should I test? and how often the first week and the next week and the next week again?

I have a liquid testing kit, it's a bit of a hassle it takes time, And the strips tests I don't know if I can trust it, do you guys know if can be trusted? should I just go for the liquid test kit?

Hello Bof...

Testing strips are as accurate as anything, as long as the product isn't expired. Tetra has a good product. You can test several areas of tank water in one minute. If you've established your tank, you can add a few small fish and remove and replace a third of the tank water a couple of times a week for roughly three weeks. After this time, you could add a few more small fish and increase your water changes to half the tank's volume for the life of the tank. No testing is needed unless you want to test.

B

No testing is needed unless you want to test.

Yes, this way we can expect the follow up post on why your fish are sick. If you are just starting out, keep testing so you get a feel on how things are going. Test strips might be accurate in freshwater, but they are literal junk on the saltwater side of things. Not all things are created equal on both sides of the world. Just check on your nitrates weekly until you can get a feel for things and it has matured and stabilized as I mentioned above.

Hello Bof...

Testing strips are as accurate as anything, as long as the product isn't expired. Tetra has a good product. You can test several areas of tank water in one minute. If you've established your tank, you can add a few small fish and remove and replace a third of the tank water a couple of times a week for roughly three weeks. After this time, you could add a few more small fish and increase your water changes to half the tank's volume for the life of the tank. No testing is needed unless you want to test.

B

Okay i will get some test strips, thanks for the answer :)

Yes, this way we can expect the follow up post on why your fish are sick. If you are just starting out, keep testing so you get a feel on how things are going. Test strips might be accurate in freshwater, but they are literal junk on the saltwater side of things. Not all things are created equal on both sides of the world. Just check on your nitrates weekly until you can get a feel for things and it has matured and stabilized as I mentioned above.

I will try to buy some tetra test strips and see if they show the same, thanks for the answer :)

I test my water once a week, and if ammonia, nirite, and nirate are above zero, I would try to fix that

Your Tank

Hello Bof...

I don't test the water. For the first few weeks the fish are in the new tank, I change a third of the water a couple of times a week. I feed a little every day or so. After a few weeks, I up the water change to half and perform a change once a week for as long as the tank is up and running. That's it. If you feel you need to test the water, use the 6 in 1 strips from Tetra. They're as reliable as anything. Just make sure the product hasn't expired.

B

Hello Bof...

I don't test the water. For the first few weeks the fish are in the new tank, I change a third of the water a couple of times a week. I feed a little every day or so. After a few weeks, I up the water change to half and perform a change once a week for as long as the tank is up and running. That's it. If you feel you need to test the water, use the 6 in 1 strips from Tetra. They're as reliable as anything. Just make sure the product hasn't expired.

B

Water changes are important, but keep in mind that this is usually a freshwater way of doing things compared to saltwater. We recommend a 10% water change weekly and only increased water changes if there are issues that need addressed. Keep in mind that freshwater test kids will show you a different shade that can make these test strips difficult to read...even if they have been labeled as 'saltwater/freshwater'. These test strips are even worse than the junk API test kids we use to cycle our tanks.
In general, the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate tests are only important for cycling the tank. Then really only needing to focus on the nitrate tests afterwards to keep things in like/under 20 reading of nitrates...if it goes over that then you would do additional water changes.

I use the strips for my nitrites and nitrates, liquid for my pH. But every time I go to my lfs I would still get them to test it if necessary just to be extra safe

Back
Top Bottom