How should i restart me tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elykreefs97

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 29 gal reef but the algea has gotten out of controle. K have been working on the upgrade with a sump/fuge and a new skimmer. I want to tear it all down and set up the new one, but i dont know if i should completly restart it by using new water and drying out all the rock with algea on it. Or if i shoud use most of the water from my current tank. The tank has been running for a year and a half but its not the best tank in the world. Any suggestions on it? I have a friend with a tank i can keep my fish and corals in until the tank is ready.

Sent from my LG-MS870 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you dry the rock out and start over you will have to recycle the tank. I had that problem a few years back with hair algae so I did a huge water change scrubbed everything that had algae on it in old tank water until I couldn't see any more. I rinse them again in "clean" tank water and placed them back in. I also added chemi clean it took a few weeks but all was well after that.

Should i use the water thats in there now amd do a water change before i put it in the new tank. Ill also have to add another couple gallons to fill the sump

Sent from my LG-MS870 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yea you can use 30 to 50 percent of your current water so when u move it over it was a large water change

If you have some one willing to hold your live stock, and the algae is bad enough to want to restart the tank I would just restart it. Give the rocks a hydrogen peroxide wash, ditch the sand and refill with new water. You'll probably have a small cycle, but it will be algae free

Back
Top Bottom