How soon and how much to run my skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a bubble magus curve 5 skimmer.* It's rated at 140 gallons.* *It worked awesome in my last setup.* *I'm wondering how long after initial setup should I run it and should I run it all the time or just once in awhile.* *My whole system will probably be about 30 gallons.* *I know I have heard you can over skim...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

But there is no water in my tank yet... Haha

What about during cycle?

I have one to think mine could be defective it doesn't bubble up as high as I assume it should maybe due to the lack of proteins to skim in my tank because I have no fish yet. Yesterday I turned it up a little and came home from work today and found it was not producing bubbles at all. I thought it was broken so I pulled it out and right when the water got almost to the bottom as I was pulling it out it fired up and started working again? WTF

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How much water are you running it in. As in how high on the skimmer is the water level.

Almost half way up the neck it's actually just below half. When I first bought it the thing would overflow like crazy. I went online and saw that bubble magus recomended a minimum of 9in on the water level. I tried that and it still went nuts no matter where I set it to. After a few weeks the bubbles went down way down so I talked to my lfs whom I purchased it from he told me to set my level to where I can see the bubbles forming at the water line in my sump and to set the water line in my sump at half which puts the level around 6 or 7 inches. He showed me the same exact skimmer that he uses in all his sumps in a working sump the level of the water was lower that what I have now yet his skimmer was working great. Mine now produces bubbles but not quite as high as I As it should. That's not my concern I think it just needs more to skim out. I'm just worried there may be another issue it was almost as if the pump was seized up.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hmm... That's weird. I had mine at like 10'' I think.

Every model is different level needed! Final adjustment can be very finicky! Water level and air have to be just right! Especially for namo skimmers

Well I figured he had the same one as me cause he said he had one....

Back
Top Bottom