how the heck do I cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waffle

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm way ahead of myself on this one and i'll probably get a million different answers but I'm all ears on how to properly cycle my 125 with a 55 fuge/sump

Put a dead shrimp or a couple for that size tank in a net and put it in the tank. You can also dose pure ammonia. Fish in cycles work but are cruel as they burn the fishes gills.

^ that is it in a nut shell. Test water for ammonia the first week then check for the nitrite and nitrate spikes.

I was one of the not so smart people who started a tank before joining. My research has led me to believe the shrimp or pure ammonia dosing to be best.

I used bottled bacteria and I guess I got lucky as it worked and all three original fish and inverts I added lived.

There is also Dr Tims "One & Only". Other store-bought bacteria products do not seem to always work, but I tried this and it worked great for me. Lots of info on their site.

The cycle could take up to a couple months, depending on how much live Rick you've added.
Use that time for researching your stock list

Ingy said:
The cycle could take up to a couple months, depending on how much live Rick you've added.
Use that time for researching your stock list

Sounds good to me, I'm assuming live rock will help so the more the better?

waffle said:
Sounds good to me, I'm assuming live rock will help so the more the better?

Yes, more live rock will make the tank cycle faster, because it already houses some of the beneficial bacteria you are trying to establish.

Thanks for the help everyone awesome website btw.. planning on starting cycle by the winter. Slow and steady

Back
Top Bottom