How to clean out a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dylan5359

Aquarium Advice Addict
The tank hasn't been used for a good 3 months it was once a fry tank, then a betta breeding tank, and now its going to be a dwarf seahorse tank. Lol. How should I clean this out? I don't want to use soap and water nor bleach. Help? It needs to be cleaned good because a bloom of bacteria actually killed my betta in there before! So yeah. Any tips will help.

I take a magnetic algae scraper if there's anything on the sides that doesn't want to come off. Then I take a kitchen sponge that hasn't been used before and scrub it up really good. I've had two tanks that I've cleaned like this. I hope this helps.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

The jobs done! *few* :) turns out I exaggerated! Hot water, a new sponge, and some hand greace did the job just fine! Great tips though and will remember them for future reference thanks guys!

austinsdad said:
Be careful of even a new sponge. Some I believe can be treated with something. Read'm carefully y'all.

Yes of course. It's important to check the sponge.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

Back
Top Bottom