How to clean Sand Bed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRealFF

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is such a silly and newbie question but i figure if i keep being afraid to ask, my sand bed is gonna be covered with wastes... so... I'll just take my chance

How do you clean ur sand bed effectively? I have a pretty dirty sand bed right now with lots of fish wastes. I have heard of the term syphon and such but i don't really know what it means. Can anyone be kind enuf to help me out?

Thank you so much

I have a sand-sifting star and it does a great job with the sand bed. They do require larger and mature systems and can deplete a sand bed of fauna in no time.

You don't really want to use a Python on a sand bed. It will suck the sand out of the aquarium and down your drain. Get a good clean up crew. Several different snail varieties, a brittle star or two, fighting conch, etc. Many people also use varieties of hermit crabs. Mine kept killing snails and each other for the shells so I relegated them to the sump. They are almost all gone now. They have a life expectancy of 1-3 years.

I noticed when using a python I suck up a lot of my sand. I hate it. I wish I wouldnt have bought it now.

I try not to syphon the sand if possible. But at least just a "light" touch up to get all the snail & hermit crab debris left around. Nass Snails are the best if you get a bunch of them.

I've two Sand sifter Starfish and they seem to be unable to keep up. Might be getting a third soon for the ole 55 gal tank.

Snails and Crabs are the best bet. Just make sure to get more than needed. Like
cmor1701d mentioned they tend to die off and get eaten once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom