How to leave the fish for a few days?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apinkmanatee

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two clownfish (false percula) in my 65 gal fowlr. I was wondering...I don't have lights with a timer yet, I switch them manually from the bright day lights to the blue "moonlight" lights. I do have a timer that I could use with the lights to turm them strictly on and off, from either bright lights or moonlight to completely off. I would like to go away for the weekend. Can I? How would you set the lights? Will that screw them up for the lights to be different for a few days? Also...how long would be ok for them to be without food? I may need to buy an automatic feeder...just not sure how many meals they can miss. TIA!!!

I'd use bright lights during the day and switch them off at night. I have goldfish and I can leave them for a week but no longer. I'm guessing your fish couldn't last as long. You can get holiday food but it isn't good for water quality. If you plan to leave them fairly often I'd invest in a feeder.

If your just going away for a weekend leave the lights off and don't worry about feeding them. Also do a pwc before you go.

Sorry wrong thread lol

Attachments

• image-2367607719.jpg
    image-2367607719.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 81
  • image-4037259276.jpg
    image-4037259276.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 92
  • image-161292919.jpg
    image-161292919.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 84
I have two clownfish (false percula) in my 65 gal fowlr. I was wondering...I don't have lights with a timer yet, I switch them manually from the bright day lights to the blue "moonlight" lights. I do have a timer that I could use with the lights to turm them strictly on and off, from either bright lights or moonlight to completely off. I would like to go away for the weekend. Can I? How would you set the lights? Will that screw them up for the lights to be different for a few days? Also...how long would be ok for them to be without food? I may need to buy an automatic feeder...just not sure how many meals they can miss. TIA!!!

If you don't have any corals, go ahead and leave all the lights off. The fish won't care one way or the other. As for feeding, the fish will be fine without food for 3-4 days easy. No need to overfeed the day before you leave either. Just top off your water before you leave. No need to do a pwc if its not needed/ on your schedule etc.

Thank you! I'm so glad I can still go to the cabin this summer. Will this also be true for the other fish I plan on getting? Royal gramma, bicolor angel, blue reef chromis and flame hawkfish?

Yup those fish will be fine. Just feed them right before you leave and feed em when you get back a few days later.

Back
Top Bottom