How to promote algea growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ztkirkpatric

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a fairly new tank, its been up and running for approx 2-3 months now. All of the rock in it is bleach white, it was all dead when I put it in the tank... What are some ways that I can promote algea growth on the rock? I have a little bit of bright pink and some bright green algea starting to grow but it is very thin, and seems to come and go....

I know lighting can have an effect on the algea growth, should I leave them on longer? Shorter? ect.... Trying to get some color on the rock!

Thanks

Hate to be vague, but it does take time. some tanks grow it faster than others. as long as you have some showing of the pink/purple stuff it will spread. I take it you are looking to get coralline algae to coat your rocks and stuff?

I don't think there's any direct correlation between lights and the coralline. Some people have it growing under their rocks where there is NO light really getting to them. have you checked your calcium levels? I do think that can hellp if they are at proper levels. If you do your water changes weekly with a decent salt mix then you should have good levels.

How long do you currently have your lights on? If you have coral, sometimes people reccomend as much as 12 hours a day of light. Even if you don't, I think that much time with the lights on would promote algae growth!:)

I knew waiting was the major part of it... Just wasn't sure if there was a direct correlation between lighting or some other compound in the water.... What should the calcium levels be at?

in addition to the above, coralline algae has to be introduced. it will never pop up if it wasn't there in the first place. you may want to get some scrapings from a fellow reefers tank or perhaps purchase a frag from a store that has some coralline on the plug.
coralline can grow with very little light. sump get loaded with it and are only lit with household energy saver bulbs.

i haqven't had any issues with corraline taking time to grow. it has to be introduced but i sometimes add purple up to the water and when i do i see a big spike in the growth of coralline algae.

i was waiting for my lace rock to grow some so i decided hey maybe i'll put some purple up and two days later power there were tomes of pink spots on them

There are different species of Coraline,some prefer more light than others for good growth.As others have stated you need to keep your calcium level at least between 420 to 460,and your alk at least between 7 to 8.
Going by your post you didn't add any live rock to start with to seed your tank.Gotta have something with it on
It to start.
It doesn't take long then.

Attachments

• image-3614251378.jpg
    image-3614251378.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 130
  • image-3316561004.jpg
    image-3316561004.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 152
Ricks reef your aquarium looks amazing!! Good job with that...

Back
Top Bottom