How to quiet a noisy filtration system?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mackey256

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Speaking of noise proximity to your tank, what about tank noise and my proximity to the tank?

Is there any good way to quiet down a noisy filtration system?

**split post into own topic**

Do you have a hob or sump? Powerheads inside the tank or closed loop? I know from your other posts your tank is a large 6 footer. Just need more specifics on your filtration setup and brand names if possible (some are louder then others)

LOL! :roll: Stupid me, I should have put that information into the first post. I might as well have posted a thread titled "HELP" and then left it blank. :oops:

OK I have two "Powersweep 228 power heads" that are submerged at the bottom of the tank for circulation. I also have two "Skilter 400 Power Filters" that hang off the back of the tank.

This is the exact setup that the tank has been running under for the past seven or eight months. All my levels are right on target and I have been keeping daily tabs on them because of the recent tank move.

I believe the noise is really just coming from the air intakes on the Power Filters. The noise isn't really a huge issue but if I could quiet it down it wouldn't hurt my feelings any. :D I have done a ton of research about saltwater aquariums over the past two or three days and my head is swimming (Pun intended).

I was just wondering how people on this forum have handled noisy filtration in the past.

Thanks,
Brad

I dont have any experience with those exact filters, I have a Emporer 400 on my 75 along with a penguin 280 I believe..may be a 200.. anyways, when my filteres start to get loud, it is normally due to sand between the magnets in the actualy pump section. When that happens I remove the filters and wash out the filter boxes and wipe down the magnets with a non-abrasive cloth. Make sure that there are no scouring marks on the magnet that spins. Those marks will cause a slight unbalance and will create its own noise without sand. :/

For the powerheads, make sure they are secureed tightly. If not, tehy will vibrate against the side of the tank and can cause a very loud racket.

Sometimes, a filter pump can get messed up beyond repair, I have an aquaclear 300 that is like this. For that instance, you normally need to get a new magnet for it, some LFSs carry repair parts, else you can find them on the online fish shops or order from the manufacturor.

There are inlime air filters that will help some, but as long as you are allowing the air/water so be fractionated by the impeller, they will always be noisy.
Many, many moons ago, I modified all Skilters I came in contact with. We would use small air pumps with needle valves and wooden airstones. The lid can be drilled out to accomodate the airline withot pinching it. The air stone can be placed in the reaction cylinder easily.
If you attempt this modification, try to barely skim for the first few days; valve the air down low. The limewood air diffusers will produce much more foam, and have been known to overflow the collection cup! (This is why I suggest smaller air pumps be used in this application.) Later, as you become more accustomed to the amount and consistency of the new skimmate, you can adjust the air up, as needed.

In my research of this filter I have found that this is a VERY BAD setup to have. I’m almost certain now that my girlfriends brother did absolutely no research before setting up this tank and just went and bought whatever the aquarium store suggested he buy. I have found quite a few amusing quotes about this filter that I would like to share with you.

“…Nothing is louder or more useless (IMO) than the Skilter. I bought one many a moon ago. Wish I bought beer instead.”

“yes, i agree skilters are the worst thing in reefdom since ummmm errrrrr ummmmm well i guess they are the all time worst thing in reefdom ever.”

“I like many others wasted my money on one of this about 6 or 7 years ago before i knew better.”

“In our experience, Skilters are very ineffective, noisy and about worthless.”

“A piece of junk”

“It's loud, and sounds like a horny alleycat raping a light socket when in operation. Adding insult to injury, it does a very bad job at skimming.”

So I guess my answer is to throw the thing out and get something else if I want to lower noise. The down side is I can’t afford to do that for about a mouth so these will have to do for now. I do find that they do a decent job of skimming but then again I have nothing to compare them to. I plan on doing an air stone mod to this filter as afishyonados had suggested. It isn’t a final solution but until I can get a better set up this will have to do for now.

As of right now the fish in the tank are very happy and stable. I’ll have to do some research on live rocks and skimmers. Perhaps I’ll even make a sump? I’ll keep this thread posted as to how the air stone mod works and how I did it.

Thanks for the tips,
Brad

Well I modded the Skilter filters and now instead of being extremely loud they are just loud so I guess that’s an improvement. :roll:

For the mod I drilled a hole in the collection cup cover lid wide enough to firmly insert some rigid airline tubing. I positioned it right over the skimmer tube so I could place an airstone at the bottom of the skimmer. I then connect it to an airpump, and disconnect the skilters venturi tubing. Easy to do but in the end it wasn’t even worth the effort. The dang thing is still loud as all get out.

The best advice I can give everyone about this filter is

DO NOT BUY A SKILTER FILTER!

:lol:
Brad

Back
Top Bottom