how to quiet the overflow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoothie7

Aquarium Advice Activist
We just set up our tank last night on our 90 gallon saltwater tank and was wandering what people do to quiet down the overflow compartment. I have 3 sponges in it to help filter the water but I'm thinking the sponges are too small and it is letting water fall to bottom of the tank. My overflow opening on my 90 gallon is 4.5" squared. Anybody have ideas? Thanks.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398983795.016349.jpg
Look up Durso Standpipe. This one is made out of 1 1/2" inch PVC it fits in a in a 5.5" x 5.5" overflow. Why 1 1/2" pipe? It's what I had on hand. Good luck!

so I made the durso standpipe today and for some reason it wasn't sending enough water through the bulkhead so the pump wasn't getting enough water to send it back through the tank. Any thoughts?

You may need to drill several smaller holes around a larger hole until you get the results you want. Just hang in there and wear ear plugs in the mean time.

I already have a hole at the top drilled, probably large enough to put a pen through. should I maybe drill a couple 1/16" holes around it?

Yes. Just a couple at a time. The noise should go down each time. Don't over do it though. Go slowly

Back
Top Bottom