How to remove dead coralline on a rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwaenz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have pukani rocks from BRS, some of em are coated with white stuff w/c i believe is a dead coralline. I want to remove it cos it seems that its blocking the pores of my rock. Ideas anyone? :confused:

The coralline is covering almost half of the rock, w/c is covering almost half of my rocks porous surface area. Makes me feel like its beating the purpose of the rock.

I guess if theres no other wa then I'm down to using a chisel. I might try using a sand paper if it would work hopefully. :/

Thanks guys!

Its fine to leave it dead or not, new will grow over it, and because its calcium based extremely porous just like your bones, you just cant see the little holes, but thats ok cuz theyre still small enough to house niterbacter.

Wow thats nice to know.

But how will a new one grow? will it pop out of nowhere?

Yeah, its unstoppable, if you have a arine tank coraline will grow, the spores must survive in the salt mix or something. If you add some live rock with it on it will spread faster.

Then i guess there's no escaping coralline even if i remove this dead thing. I might just brush this pukani first, has lots of darken spots.

Thanks kurtyboh!

Back
Top Bottom