How to start a tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicklid-collector

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How do u put the salt n RO water in the tank?? Is it rite to fill the tank with RO water then add the salt heat it up, do I need to have the pumps running and skimmerat this time?? Whilst it all settles dwn then add sand let it settle some live rock let it settle n then possibly add a damsil is this rite or wrong??

Sicklid-collector said:
How do u put the salt n RO water in the tank?? Is it rite to fill the tank with RO water then add the salt heat it up, do I need to have the pumps running and skimmerat this time?? Whilst it all settles dwn then add sand let it settle some live rock let it settle n then possibly add a damsil is this rite or wrong??

For initial set up, yes, you can put in water and add the salt. For PWC's you'll need a bucket or trash an to mix it in and get it up to temp before adding to the tank. So: add water, add salt, place PHs to mix it up. Add heater to help salt dissolve. Add rock so that it's stable in bottom of tank, not on sand (which can make the rock fall over if you get any fish that dig). Then add sand. It's better IMO to do a fish less cycle, damsels are cheap, but no fish should have to be put through the burning and shortness of breath that the cycle causes. Its easy to just throw in some raw shrimp, fish, clams, etc and let it rot. Or you can use bottled ammonia, but it MUST be the kind that doesn't bubble at all when you shake the bottle. Dose the tank up to 4ppm and then test very day to see where you're at in the cycle. When ammonia spikes to 4 or more, then it'll start to drop, then nitrites will spike and start to drop, and you'll start to see nitrates. When ammonia and nitrites are zero, nitrates will be high. Do a PWC and then you're ready for fish. Good luck!!!

Parts per million. If you go the straight ammonia route, it takes very little to,get it up,to 4. Use a few drops and test it.

I'm in agreement with Beengirl here. I think you're better to do a fishless cycle!

One of the most important things when starting a saltwater aquarium is taking it slow.

Cycle for 4 to 6 weeks then add your first fish.

Wait another 3 or 4 weeks and add another fish.

Wait another 3 or 4 weeks and add another fish or coral.

By month 3/4 you should have a very stable tank however you should still add things slowly.

Do plenty of research on your fish and corals also as it will help you understand the conditions they require.

Ok thnx il do the fish less cycle I dnt mind playing the waiting game as I'd rather get it rite the first time n not harm any fish so I got the RO water in a big plastic bin so should I now add the heaters to get it up to temp and add the salt?? :)

Ok thnx il do the fish less cycle I dnt mind playing the waiting game as I'd rather get it rite the first time n not harm any fish so I got the RO water in a big plastic bin so should I now add the heaters to get it up to temp and add the salt?? :)

First, you're using RODI water, not just RO water, correct?? There is a difference.
Yes, put water & salt in a bin with heater & powerhead.... need the powerhead for water movement to get it mixed properly.

Um not too sure I bort a 4 stage RO unit which I connected under my sink is this not rite?? I got a power head so il put that in along with the heater

Ok il take pics ov the equipment when I finish work n post um I bort it off eBay the RO unit

Attachments

• image-122205800.jpg
    image-122205800.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 41
  • image-1064198172.jpg
    image-1064198172.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 41
  • image-1124464383.jpg
    image-1124464383.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 44
  • image-4192464997.jpg
    image-4192464997.jpg