how to start overflow siphon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fierro Nights

Aquarium Advice Freak
when i first got my fuge i was confused as to how to get the thing started, i tried putting water in the u-tube, keeping my fingers over it, and a few other things, nothing worked just right, but i did find a way that works 100% perfict everytime.

my sump/fuge came with some pumps a 600gal and an 800 g/h well, the 800g/h pump like most tank pumps or powerheads came with suction cups, mine where large enough to fit on the ends of my u-tube, what i do now is put the u-tube under water inside my tank, let it fill with water, i get two suction cups place them on the ends of the tube while still underwater as to not let any air in, i then press down on the suction cups so they create a vacuum then i take it out of the water, place it in my overflow, and diy surface skimmer, and before i remove the suction cups, i start my sump to bring up the water level in the main tank, i turn off the water flow leading to my sump w/ the ball valve i installed and then remove the suction cups to the u-tube.

then i slowly open the ball valve on the pipe leading to my sump, this way i dont get any air build up inside of my u-tube untill i turn off my sump during feeding time.

i just wanted to share this with everyone and hope it helps out a guy because it really stumped me when i was first trying to get the whole thing started.

You could also use an air tube stuck through the pipe on the tank side and then blow to force water flow.

I was going to say the same thing as Lance. But i guess whatever works for ya.

Well, Lance almost got it right. Except you don't blow into the u-tube, you suck the air out. Put the airline half way thru and suck. You'll never start a siphon blowing air into the tube, you have to suck it out.

Yes i agree , as blowing would add air as sucking would remove the air. Just besure theres a water surface on both ends.

Thats for the correct as i do that alot.

BUT, my method does not require putting tubes in my mouth, all the same as long as they work, but!, does the tube method remove all air bubbles? my u-tube does not have a nipple on the top which would really come in handy when air does collect up there.

Typically using the airline tubing/surgical tubing will remove all air from the U-tube. Air can build back up in the tube as bubbles get trapped. I have some surgical tubing I use to start my overflows. I have 2 overflows and 4 U-tubes on my system and when I do regular maintenance I check the u-tubes. If I need to remove the air bubbles I do so, most of the time I don't have to mess with them.

Back
Top Bottom