How to start right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rluka

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, and thanks for having me in the forum,
I just started this hobby about a month ago with a small 10g tank, I'm already fond of it now. Thinking of expanding soon and add a 75g tank.
1. What do I need to have on my 10g tank to keep a good water quality for both coral and fish?
2. What equipment will I need in the new 75g in order to start right (besides a good filter), in terms of lighting and other equipments?
Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Many thanks
Rand

well there are many pieces of equipment then just the good filter that you need for a saltwater tank, but first of all, personally i would greatly urge you stop with the 10 gallon tank and move to the 75 gallon tank, in saltwater bigger is always better with a 10 gallon you will be limited to what fish you can keep and what corals you and keep, and plus your water parameters would be very unpredictable.. but for important equipment, i would start researching water pumps, protein skimmers, and either t5 high output lighting, metal hailde, or LED's

Hello all, and thanks for having me in the forum,
I just started this hobby about a month ago with a small 10g tank, I'm already fond of it now. Thinking of expanding soon and add a 75g tank.
1. What do I need to have on my 10g tank to keep a good water quality for both coral and fish?
2. What equipment will I need in the new 75g in order to start right (besides a good filter), in terms of lighting and other equipments?
Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Many thanks
Rand

Hi Rand and welcome to AA! Glad you found us here.

1) A successful nano usually consists of a good topoff schedule (or ATO), regular pwc's, and good feeding schedules (every other day is fine for fish etc)

2) For a 75, I'd highly urge you to get a sump to hide all your equipment. A good skimmer (I'm a fan of Reef Octopus) is perhaps the most essential component. Also, look into what lights you want to get and/or can afford. LEDs are becoming more popular, but there are always T5s and MHs. Decide on what fish and what corals you want to keep and go from there.

My 75g build thread in my sig has alot of info imo about equipment I used and pictures of it. Its cycling currently and there will be much more added as time goes on.

Thank you all for the prompt and informative replies!
Now I'm still looking for tanks, what I'm doing is trying to buy used ones so I can save few bucks for rocks, coral and fish, and there are a lot around here, I'm just waiting to get a good deal. I'm looking for, like I said previously, a 75 - 90 g and one or two 20-30 g sumps to maximize the water volume and plan for future refuge, then I will need an advice on the best way to connect and plumb them together.
but for now, I just need to understand more the "cycling" process. what does it mean to cycle the tank? and do we necessarily need a bio wheel for that to happen?

Thanks

To cycle a tank it means you are developing the benificial bacteria needed to create the nitrogen cycle.(ammo to nitrites to nitrates)..this process will start as long as there is an ammonia source but most people will seed there tank with live rock which isn't necessary (currently cycling my seahorse tank with 100% lace rock and seeing trates in 2 weeks) and as for your tank size, go with the 75 over the 90.. your only getting extra height out of it (same footprint) which just means more powerful lights will be needed to reach the floor

To cycle a tank it means you are developing the benificial bacteria needed to create the nitrogen cycle.(ammo to nitrites to nitrates)..this process will start as long as there is an ammonia source but most people will seed there tank with live rock which isn't necessary (currently cycling my seahorse tank with 100% lace rock and seeing trates in 2 weeks) and as for your tank size, go with the 75 over the 90.. your only getting extra height out of it (same footprint) which just means more powerful lights will be needed to reach the floor

1. So do you suggest start with a couple of fishes as a source of waste to contribute to the cycle? and is the biowheel necessary for this?
2. Do you mean that the shallower the tank the cheaper light options I can consider?

Thanks
Rand

You have 3 options mainly to start a cycle...fish in..pure ammonia dosing...or a shrimp/fish food. Now biowheels some people will say that they are just nitrate factories so id go with out..lastly the less water to penetrate the less light needed

Back
Top Bottom