How to use Cupramine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leesanhua

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought a bottle of Cupramine to treat icks that my clowns have and am not very sure how to use it. Can someone please help? I have placed my clowns in a 10g quarantine tank. I just want to make sure that I don't kill them instead... Thanks in advance..

Don't do anything until you have a good (matching?) copper test to go along with it. I know QS will chime in as soon as he sees the thread but in the mean time if you have the test kit you'll be one step ahead tomorrow. Good luck.

It is always best to have a matching test kit, made by the same company. Your odds of getting more accurate test results that way.

To use the cupramine, read the directions very carefully. It will tell you exactly how much to use and how to use it. I belive the proper theropudic level of copper is 2.0 ppm. That's what I keep my QT tank at.

HTH

Ximat said:
I belive the proper theropudic level of copper is 2.0 ppm..
The proper treatment level for Cupramine is 0.5 ppm. In a 10 gal tank you would add just shy of one ml from the dosing pipette and then 48 hours later another dose exactly the same amount. The test kit will be needed to verify the treatment level has been acheived and when doing water changes.

Cheers
Steve

i have the copper test kit... aquarium pharma... ya.. that's the brand
Won't get an accurate reading with this test kit. You need seachem's multitest for copper.
I have tried aquarium pharma's kit with cupramine, IME I could not get a good reading.

if i got the seachem's multitest for copper. how should i treat the fish with cupramine?

the instruction showed that i need to treat 0.5mg/L. i mean how should i measure mg/L?

You follow the instruction on the bottle, so many drops per gallon (I think 2) for the first 48 hours. After the first 48 hours you boost the drug to full strength and measure the water for the correct level. You can then make any needed adjustments.
Make sure you test the level every day, evaporation can influence the reading.
Also dose and test your change water, this makes it easier to keep the dosage at treament strength.
HTH

you want to make sure and be careful using cupramine with clowns...clowns have a low tolerance to copper levels...it seems sometimes to low to effectivly treat ick...if it dies i wouldnt count out the fact that the copper did it first.

Back
Top Bottom