Hydrometer questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RYANLAWRENCE

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok i have a question. I have a hydrometer but it is one of those floating needle ones. Bubbles get stuck to it constantly and it is hard to get an accurate reading. I know yall will probably reccomend a refractometer but i cant really afford one right now im only 17. so how do floating hydrometers work? will that work better than needle?

If you dip the hydrometer in correctly (should be explained in the instructions for the particular model), less bubbles will attatch to the swing arm. For the ones that do attach, a light flicking of the hydromter ought to remove them.

Sometimes a more determined slamming is needed. ;)

Matt

yeah i do that, but it still reads the salt high. I have even been doing half a cup less than what the directions say on the salt and it is still kinda high at 1.025. that is high for half a cup less salt that what i should put in there.

1.025 is a good SG level for a reef tank. The directions are just guide lines and you have to use a refractometer to get the correct level that you want. That is another reason to mix it 24 hours before using it. It gives the saltmix enough time to completely desolve so you know the exact SG level. After a few times you will be a pro at it.

Back
Top Bottom