hypo water ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clownface

Aquarium Advice Regular
i got a flame angel 4 days ago he had a few specks of what the lfs said it was a fungus, we today i wake up and fing his body covered with specks which i assume is ick, now after a few hours they are gone, i am not going to take any chances i am going to start hypo + he is in my 10 gallon qt tank,the question i have do i do 1gallon water changs every 6 hrs until i hit 1.009sg over a 48hr time frame

That might be too quick. You probably would be better off doing every day. I`m not a hypo expert so maybe one of them can help. I just know you have to go down slowly.

1.011 is enough if you have a refractometer and watch the evaporation. 1.009 is accurate if using a hydrometer. Bringing it down to correct salinity in 48 hours is correct. Just make sure you do not bring it back up that fast. I drain water out and start a slow fresh water siphon/drip so it will drop steady and slow. Just be sure to keep a steady check on the salinity so you do not go to low.

Brenden said:
1.011 is enough if you have a refractometer and watch the evaporation. 1.009 is accurate if using a hydrometer. Bringing it down to correct salinity in 48 hours is correct. Just make sure you do not bring it back up that fast. I drain water out and start a slow fresh water siphon/drip so it will drop steady and slow. Just be sure to keep a steady check on the salinity so you do not go to low.
i thought you are not supposed to use a hydrometer,i got a refractormeter,i thought you bring the salinty to 1.009, like i said after a few hrs the spots are gone but i dont want to take a chance when i introduce him to the main tank.i am going to go with 20% every 12hrs

1.009 is allowing for the error in a hydrometer. 1.011 is effective if it is monitored correctly with a refractometer. The fish needs to be in hypo for a min of 4 weeks after the last "spot" is observed. Bring the salinity down in a period of around 48 hours. Raise it much slower. Fish can handle a drop in salinity much better than a increase.

I just recently finished a successful hypo. It took me two months all in all.

I would say that refractometers are much more accurate than hydrometers. I would say that if you can, calibrate your hydrometer to a good working refractometer. However, why use a fork to eat your soup when you have a spoon, right?

I would also advise that you bring down the specific gravity to about 1.010 (if hydrometer is used, just to be safe) in the course of 3-4 days. 2 days is a little too fast, especially that it's a QT where water volume makes the parameters change faster.

When you're done, slowly bring back the sg to 1.024. This is the one that takes forever. I would advise to raise the sg by 0.02 - 0.03 every week for the next 5 - 6 weeks. Then drip acclimate your Flame back to your display for 4 - 5 hours.

My two cents

I just restated info that was given to me by the "MAN". It worked great for me.
1.009 is allowing for margin of error in a hydrometer. If you have a refractometer and you consistently monitor and compensate for evaporation a level of 1.011 is correct.
Salinitylevels need to be brought down to 1.011 in a 48 hour period.
Bringing salinity from 1.011 to 1.025 over a period of a week is slow enough, 5-6 weeks is not needed.
Maybe the "MAN" himself will chime in. Steve-s you out there?

watch the amonia when it drops down i had a huge cycle wich caused some bacterial problems wich were worse than the ich in a 10g it should be not so bad i hypoed the main and did in about #60 of rock with it wich is were im shure the major die off was from

I know Hypo is the preferred method on this site, but for those of us that could never manage to capture everything in a 175 with out losing it all and then needing a 125 for QT, I have had great success with Garlic. I use kent Garlic extreme and I use a lot of it! I had two breakouts in the main and within a week the spots stopped coming back daily and no relapses. Of course, I do everything in an unconventional way, so this may not be for everyone, but when you do not have a choice it is nice to know there is an alternative. Good luck!

thanks for the replies, i took out my little live rock when i started dropping my salinty,i have bare bottom and just pvc , and a fake oranment for caves, got my salinty to 1.010 as of tonight and he is doing fine and eating, i also buffered the ph so i am good to, the one thing i learned is qt all your new fish i bought him from a local dealer that i have purchasd fish from and trust him, so i am glad he was not in my main tank

MMM, do you use it just when they have parasites or do you use as preventitive.How often?

1.009 is allowing for the error in a hydrometer. 1.011 is effective if it is monitored correctly with a refractometer.

I'm having a hard time understanding this. From my experience all hydrometers read differently. My current IO hydrometer reads about .002 higher than my previous SeaTest hydrometer. My LFS refractometer reads about .004 higher than my old SeaTest hydrometer. Because hydrometers are notoriously inconsistent and inaccurate, I would suggest only using the hyposalinity treatment if you have a well-calibrated refractometer. If you can only get your hands on a hydrometer, use another method, such as copper. HTH

I would suggest only using the hyposalinity treatment if you have a well-calibrated refractometer
I agree 100%
The above statements was assuming you have checked your hydrometer for accuracy. This will allow a + or - .002 error range. That is what that is referring to. If you do not have your hydrometer checked for accuracy and it is off more you might as well leave the fish alone which brings us back to the quote above. Generally speaking if using a hydormeter and you run salinity at 1.009 you will be successful "most of the time". It is still a gamble. Make better sense?

sorry to start greef madmanmac but using garlic to treat ich is just gonna boost the imune system in the fish giving them a better ability to fight it off so even if this works you will still have ich in your tank but the fish just wont be suffering from a outbreak and i have to say if you absolutly cannot get a proper qt tank and either hypo or copper all your fish while the main tank is empthy of fish for 6 weeks then your just waiting for a real problem to happen so if you deside to just use garlic to treat with ask the wife for a little pice of the garden cause your gonna need a fish graveyard sooner or latter
ask my wife i have one

Back
Top Bottom