I am getting close! About 2-3 weeks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Well I am getting close to staring my FOWLR that will become a reef tank, and yes fishless cycle!

The only thing that hasn't lived up is the tank size, sorry. I am going to stay with a 29 because of my apt(mainly), stand, canopy....I am bought a new 29 because I used copper in the freshie. I plan to upgrade when I move and transfer. All equip should be good for bigger tank except light and more LR.

I just wanted to check with you all to show what I have cuurently purchased, and what I still need. Most was purchase from Dr. Fosters, skimmer/heater from Marine depot. Same skimmer for $79 was $179 at LFS. I dont want to add up all I spent until I get LR/Light.

I have:

1 refractometer+hydrometer to check
2 AC 30 PH
1 Coralife CSS 65 skimmer
6 clean 5 gal buckets with lid.
1 Marine Lab test kit
1 30 lb bag of Carib-Sea sugar sized reef sand
2 50 gal bags of IO salt(not sure about this for corals? Can I switch when I am ready as long as salinity is the same?
1 coralife dig temp thermometer
1 200 watt titanium heater
1 new 29 gal, stand, canopy

What I need:

PC/MH light ( Need good suggestion/best price for money/not to limiting)
45lbs of LR
1 raw shrimp
more salt
Anything else? Should I get reef/calcium stuff? I know I have to wait for corals/fish

Thanks

Awesome. :)

2 50 gal bags of IO salt(not sure about this for corals? Can I switch when I am ready as long as salinity is the same?

IO salt is great. I love it. Opinions vary, but it's just fine to use with corals. No complaints from me, anyways. You can switch if you find you don't like it.

PC/MH light ( Need good suggestion/best price for money/not to limiting)

I have the 30" Coralife 2 x 65 watt PC 50/50 on my 29 gallon. Give a tad over 4 wpg, enough for most everything but sps corals. If you are wanting to stock heavy into sps or clams or higher light corals, MH night not be a bad idea. I love my PC fixture. It was cheap ($125 from captivereefs.com) and has a wide range of coral selection with it.

As for the additives...you mostly don't need them. I don't add any, but some people do. If your Master Kit doesn't have a calcium kit, I'd get one of those too. Target range is 400-430 ppm and you can maintain that easily with just regular water changes.

HTH :)

Thanks devilshirts. That was the primary fixture I was looking into. I really dont want to buy MH for this tank because I know myself to well, as soon as I move I will get a bigger tank.

Also forgot, I am buying a UV sterilizer and rubber gloves. Do you all touch your LR, and other stuff without gloves? I was reading about toxins from some corals and fish. Not like F/W at all.

I don't bother really. If you order LR and can't inspect it before touching, I would wear gloves or just be extremely careful, since you don't know what might be crawling around. But as for moving rocks and placing things in my tank, I don't wear gloves. Certain fish release toxins, and if you irritate the heck out of zoanthids they will release a toxin. Nothing to really worry about for the average person, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom